E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not also wrap the doors and the seats? or how bout just leave it alone?? 2013 should be interested in maintenance.
Ha, well considering the car has been garaged it's whole life and just got its 60k service, I should be in the clear for a while as maintenance goes. I was going for some aesthetics at this point.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Ha, well considering the car has been garaged it's whole life and just got its 60k service, I should be in the clear for a while as maintenance goes. I was going for some aesthetics at this point.
Lots of people make this mistake. They think their car is maintained when they signed up here. Click on the links in my sig to get an idea. Unless you dropped at LEAST $3,500 on your car after purchase, it's absolutely not maintained. Oil changes and air filters do not count. "60k service" is a very very minor checklist compared to what should/can be done. I could inspect your car and write down at least three pages of stuff that needs to be done. Just saying you're new so concentrate on important stuff before you start wasting money on painting this and that black. These cars are cheap to maintain, expensive to repair.

GL!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of people make this mistake. They think their car is maintained when they signed up here. Click on the links in my sig to get an idea. Unless you dropped at LEAST $3,500 on your car after purchase, it's absolutely not maintained. Oil changes and air filters do not count. "60k service" is a very very minor checklist compared to what should/can be done. I could inspect your car and write down at least three pages of stuff that needs to be done. Just saying you're new so concentrate on important stuff before you start wasting money on painting this and that black. These cars are cheap to maintain, expensive to repair.

GL!
Fair enough, case closed. Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
=) once that mod snowball stops rolling, it's hard to stop. very dangerous for new members. this would work on a brand new F30 lease. not on a 10 year old BMW
I suppose that it's probably a good thing I don't have the funds to mod it all that much. I gotta keep that emergency cash for a rainy day.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,982 Posts
look in the Showroom Forum, there is a Steel Blue car thread with lots of photos. think I recall 1 or 2 cars with the black roof. personally I don't like the black roof when there is a sunroof, or its a sedan. also not that excited how the black goes with the Steel Blue.

give the thread a look and decide for yourself. Welcome to the forum :hi:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,982 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Mango is right, it is just the terminology that he uses that tends to get people's panties in a twist.
Instead of thinking of it as maintenance, you need to consider it restoration. You have a 2001 BMW, which means it was made in late 2000 or early 2001. It is a 14 year old car.
So, while it has been maintained, for most people, that means the oil was changed, some wear items like brakes, filters, belts, etc. were replaced, and if they were particularly good about it, they may have changed the coolant, and maybe flushed the brake fluid. But many owners balked at paying for the more expensive Inspections I and II, which really did not cover too much anyway. I also believe that the early e46's did not come with the free maintenance, but I may be wrong about that. All of this is good, but nowhere good enough, if you planned on keeping the car long term. For example, if you have an automatic transmission, BMW considered it to be a lifetime fluid. In a way, that was correct, because if you did not change it, then the transmission would reach the end of its lifetime, well before the rest of the car. But, even BMW acknowledged that "Lifetime" meant 100k miles, which is still about 40-60,000 more than it should have been. Some owners began to ignore BMW, and change their fluid every 30-60k miles. So, having a "maintained" BMW most likely meant that the basics were done, and items that broke were replaced (hopefully).
But the truth is, there are a lot of items on that car that should be replaced simply because of how old it is. It needs some degree of restoration. The fact that it has very low mileage, and that it was garaged is a good thing for you, but some things deteriorate because of age alone.
One of Mango's favorites, the cooling system, is something that should get attention. Most of the components are plastic, and they do not age well. Following his guides for cooling system restoration would be cheap insurance against catastrophic cooling system failure. If your cooling system springs a leak, you have less than a minute or two to get the car off the road, and turn the engine off, or you could do permenent damage to the engine. Some people are content to wait until something breaks to fix it, but you will need to decide if you want to take that gamble. There are plenty of stories on here about people who put off cooling maintenance, only to have it bite them in the a$$. There will be people who chime in and say that replacing these parts is not necessary. But, about 1 out of 5 posts on here are about cooling issues. You can buy yourself a few years of peace of mind by dealing with it now.
Your suspension is another area of concern. There are numerous rubber bushings that deteriorate from use, and just age. Replacing them will restore your car to the way it was meant to feel. Also, your shocks are most likely in bad shape. It can be hard to tell, because the car still seems to handle fairly well. But original, 14 year old shocks, with 60k miles on them, are probably shot. You will be amazed at the difference when you replace them. If you think the car handles well now, wait until you get new shocks. Also, the "press down on the fender, and see if it bounces" test stopped being useful in 1970. It is definitely not an indicator of anything on a BMW.
There are numerous vacuum hoses that are most likely old and brittle by now, and will start causing issues with poor idle, engine misfires, and mystery "Service engine soon" lights. You would do well to start replacing them a few at a time, as money allows.
It sounds like a lot, but you are driving what could be considered a "Classic" car now, and that means that you need to do more than just change the oil, if you want it to run its best, and be a reliable daily driver. You got very lucky to find a very low mileage car, which is great. Unfortunately, at this point, you are fighting age, as much as mileage. One thing you do not have to worry about is the wear and tear on the base mechanicals of the engine and transmission. That is a huge bonus for a car built in 2001.
Restore some of that aging rubber and plastic, and you will be very close to having a factory fresh BMW, and all of the nice things that go along with it. I wish my 2001 only had 60k on the engine. You are very lucky. Spend some money restoring a few things, and you will be good to go for many more years, or you will have a car that is worth a good bit more than book value when you sell it. I know ai would not hesitate to buy it.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Mango is right, it is just the terminology that he uses that tends to get people's panties in a twist.
Instead of thinking of it as maintenance, you need to consider it restoration. You have a 2001 BMW, which means it was made in late 2000 or early 2001. It is a 14 year old car.
So, while it has been maintained, for most people, that means the oil was changed, some wear items like brakes, filters, belts, etc. were replaced, and if they were particularly good about it, they may have changed the coolant, and maybe flushed the brake fluid. But many owners balked at paying for the more expensive Inspections I and II, which really did not cover too much anyway. I also believe that the early e46's did not come with the free maintenance, but I may be wrong about that. All of this is good, but nowhere good enough, if you planned on keeping the car long term. For example, if you have an automatic transmission, BMW considered it to be a lifetime fluid. In a way, that was correct, because if you did not change it, then the transmission would reach the end of its lifetime, well before the rest of the car. But, even BMW acknowledged that "Lifetime" meant 100k miles, which is still about 40-60,000 more than it should have been. Some owners began to ignore BMW, and change their fluid every 30-60k miles. So, having a "maintained" BMW most likely meant that the basics were done, and items that broke were replaced (hopefully).
But the truth is, there are a lot of items on that car that should be replaced simply because of how old it is. It needs some degree of restoration. The fact that it has very low mileage, and that it was garaged is a good thing for you, but some things deteriorate because of age alone.
One of Mango's favorites, the cooling system, is something that should get attention. Most of the components are plastic, and they do not age well. Following his guides for cooling system restoration would be cheap insurance against catastrophic cooling system failure. If your cooling system springs a leak, you have less than a minute or two to get the car off the road, and turn the engine off, or you could do permenent damage to the engine. Some people are content to wait until something breaks to fix it, but you will need to decide if you want to take that gamble. There are plenty of stories on here about people who put off cooling maintenance, only to have it bite them in the a$$. There will be people who chime in and say that replacing these parts is not necessary. But, about 1 out of 5 posts on here are about cooling issues. You can buy yourself a few years of peace of mind by dealing with it now.
Your suspension is another area of concern. There are numerous rubber bushings that deteriorate from use, and just age. Replacing them will restore your car to the way it was meant to feel. Also, your shocks are most likely in bad shape. It can be hard to tell, because the car still seems to handle fairly well. But original, 14 year old shocks, with 60k miles on them, are probably shot. You will be amazed at the difference when you replace them. If you think the car handles well now, wait until you get new shocks. Also, the "press down on the fender, and see if it bounces" test stopped being useful in 1970. It is definitely not an indicator of anything on a BMW.
There are numerous vacuum hoses that are most likely old and brittle by now, and will start causing issues with poor idle, engine misfires, and mystery "Service engine soon" lights. You would do well to start replacing them a few at a time, as money allows.
It sounds like a lot, but you are driving what could be considered a "Classic" car now, and that means that you need to do more than just change the oil, if you want it to run its best, and be a reliable daily driver. You got very lucky to find a very low mileage car, which is great. Unfortunately, at this point, you are fighting age, as much as mileage. One thing you do not have to worry about is the wear and tear on the base mechanicals of the engine and transmission. That is a huge bonus for a car built in 2001.
Restore some of that aging rubber and plastic, and you will be very close to having a factory fresh BMW, and all of the nice things that go along with it. I wish my 2001 only had 60k on the engine. You are very lucky. Spend some money restoring a few things, and you will be good to go for many more years, or you will have a car that is worth a good bit more than book value when you sell it. I know ai would not hesitate to buy it.
That wall of text could keep an army at bay. :rofl: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That wall of text could keep an army at bay. :rofl: :thumbsup:
The Chinese should have hired MJ to keep out the Mongolians.
He's new. I figured he may as well get it all at once. It cuts down on additional questions.
Also, lack of sleep. :dunno:

Plus, I was defending your statement Mango. That can take up a lot of space! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.