BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father's looking into buying a car for himself to replace his 2001 acura cl 3.2 type S and has come across a 2003 540i auto 53,xxx miles on it. Are the e39 5 series generally problem-free? Hes not looking for a car he will need to spend a lot of money on to maintain. Any opinions on e39 540i's are appreciated as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My father's looking into buying a car for himself to replace his 2001 acura cl 3.2 type S and has come across a 2003 540i auto 53,xxx miles on it. Are the e39 5 series generally problem-free? Hes not looking for a car he will need to spend a lot of money on to maintain. Any opinions on e39 540i's are appreciated as well.
I don't know about problems. But why the E39 540i? That's the last year they made it, so i would assume pretty problem free. Unless he's getting a really good deal, why not opt for a smaller engine and a newer model car/ newer 5 series? That way he doesn't look so out of date. Keep in mind they started that E39 body style in 1997.

They were fast though, 0-60's 5.X
They weren't good on gas if i remember correctly.
interior and exterior a bit out-dated.

Just my opinions.Car buying is never easy, especially for an enthusiast, good luck.

·
Banned
28 Posts
I don't know the reliability reputation of the e39 5 series but I will say that the e39 design was the last great classic BMW design not like what's out these days.

·
Registered
168 Posts
sports [pakage preium winter pakage all of its on their the last modle of it had 290 hp instaed of 280 increase of ten for the last year 0-60 in about 5.5 5.8 deepending on many things i dont think i need to explain it but i would get the sports pakage and im pretty much good maybe an auto hahaha

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The six was more reliable than the eight. The V8 had even more cooling system problems than the I6. I also remember reading that V8 was also too heavy for the rack and pinion they were using in the 528/530, so they went to recirculating ball. Then again, what you might give up in steering precision/feel might be worth it for the pretty serious thrust available.

i personally love the 5, and would have gotten one myself if I could have found a stick one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts