BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I work at an auto parts shop over here in Hawaii, as such I happen to know a few of the local lot owners over here.

One of them happened to come in my store tonight and after talking for a little while ask if I'd be interested in trading my car for one on his lot as he is having a hard time selling it because the SRS light is on.

Any-hoo, my car: '01 325i, 92k miles, base model (no sunroof, no cruise control, crappy tiptronic) basically stock with the exception of H&R springs and M3 reps. Cons of my car are some minor dents and dings and sunroof is sagging.

His car: '02 330i, 86k miles, fully loaded (crappy tiptronic). Cons on his car, the SRS light is on and the bumper moldings need to be touched up due to scuffs.

I am actually going to go look at it tomorrow and make sure there are no other problems, but according to him he said the car seems to be in good condition. All he knows about the car is that his worker bought it at a local auction over here and that's about it. He never had the car-fax pulled.

So what do you guys think?

Link to my car :

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=759600&highlight=

Link to his car :

http://www.choiceautohawaii.com/detail.php?id=94983

·
Hawaii 3.0
5,373 Posts
He wants to trade a newer, higher model with less miles. I'd check it out to make sure there's no major problems and def go for it. Btw what store do u work at?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using BimmerApp

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work At O'Reillys (Old Checkers). Yea this guy is real cool. He told me that he was just going to auction it off, but was going to give me a chance first. He said the main reason is because once people see the SRS light, they lose interest. I'm thinking that I can find the issue and fix it!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Looks cool

As for Photos..... I do encourage you to go for it!

make sure that it mechanicaly runs fine... and for the rest, its your game!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
26,412 Posts
Everything sounds great about that car for trade...except for the CEL and your faith that you can fix it. Although I'm sure you can, some of the causes for CEL can get expensive--mostly I'm thinking that if it's the cat, that's prolly a couple thousand...though for you and your connections, maybe much less.

Worst case is probably cat, and/or the time involved in otherwise hunting down things...but if you know (or are) a good mechanic with proper tools/testing equipment, it certainly can be fixed...just a question of knowledge, ability, and money!

Finally, I'll say that it sounds, justifiably so perhaps, that you don't like the crappy trans in either car so much...so if you're considering switching cars, might also want to look into selling yours and getting the manual it sounds like you want!

...and more finally, if you want, you can send me a ticket to HI, and I'll test drive that car for you and tell you what I think! LOL

Doug

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions guys! I'm going to take a close look at it today, I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
431 Posts
You have access to a code reader? Take it w/ you when you look at the car and see what the SES light is all about.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I went, i saw from a distance then I kept driving. Front passanger fender has a big dent in it, looks repainted and it just had the feel of a young kids car who ragged the hell out of it. Luckily it was parked right in the fron of the lot so I didn;t even need to get out of my car. Oh well, so much for that. Thanks again for the input guys!

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
That is a totally messed up accident car, can you not see it in the pictures? The front bumper, hood, and fenders don't line up with anything. The front right fender is a completely different color, and part of the bumper grill is painted over where it is supposed to be just black plastic. That car looks like it has had SERIOUS front end damage that was hard enough to bend the frame and set off airbags.

That dude is trying to screw you over and is taking you for a sucker.

·
Banned
91 Posts
that car looks like crap....the front bumper is not lined up, the paint from the pass. side fender and pass. door are a diff. shade of silver, front door gaps are not correct.....don't do it!!!

·
Banned
91 Posts
No.....

that car looks like crap....the front bumper is not lined up, the paint from the pass. side fender and pass. door are a diff. shade of silver, front door gaps are not correct.....don't do it!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true.....it probably is. And, they did the photo shoot on the Don Quijote lot? How classy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
that "newer" car has been in a major front end collision.. probably why the airbag light is on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts