E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I should be getting my car sometime in lat May or early June. I want to put a system in it as quickly as possible, so I've been doing a lot of research.

I want a system that will sound really nice and clean. I don't care about how loud it gets. I do want to be able to listen at reasonable volumes without distortion.

Based on listening, reading reviews, and checking out the forums, here's what I have come up with so far.

Head-Unit: The new Alpine CDA-9807

Amp: JL Audio 500/5

Front Speakers: Focal 136K

Rear Fill: Focal 165CA

Sub: ?????? w7 or w6v2

First off, thoughts on what I have so far. Second, what sub would you guys recommend?

I realize any w6v2 or w7 will be "underpowered" by the 250 watt sub channel of the 500/5. However, I don't really care about volume. I like these subs for the clean, tight sound they produce, and feel they are the way to go. I really don't want to spend the extra money and give up the extra space to get more than one amp to power the sub and mains.

I listen to a lot of dance/electronic music. I want deep bass extension and tight response more than volume.

Based on this setup, and my listening requirements, which sub would be best?

My list of choices right now includes an 8w7, a 10w7, a 10w6v2, or a 12w6v2.

All thoughts appreciated on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've got the 500/5, and while it's a great amp for my specific setup, I don't think you'll be happy with it for yours.

You hit the nail on the head when you said the w subs would be underpowered w/ the 250 channel. Mine is powering stealthboxes, which are highly efficient infinite baffle 8" subs - they sound great, and don't require so much power. In fact, I think 250 is more than enough.

I'd suggest going w/ the 8w7's if you're going to try running it w/ the 250 channel. Either that or try the 10w6v2. Anything bigger (12w6v2) or more power hungry (any of the larger w7s) will not be worth it. It has nothing to do w/ volume - the amount of power driving those subs will just not be able to push the driver very well.

Since you said you listen to dance / techno, try the 8w7s. Dance/techno usually doesn't go down that low in frequency, so you won't be missing the <60hz tones.

Hope this helps.

SterlingSilver said:
OK,

I should be getting my car sometime in lat May or early June. I want to put a system in it as quickly as possible, so I've been doing a lot of research.

I want a system that will sound really nice and clean. I don't care about how loud it gets. I do want to be able to listen at reasonable volumes without distortion.

Based on listening, reading reviews, and checking out the forums, here's what I have come up with so far.

Head-Unit: The new Alpine CDA-9807

Amp: JL Audio 500/5

Front Speakers: Focal 136K

Rear Fill: Focal 165CA

Sub: ?????? w7 or w6v2

First off, thoughts on what I have so far. Second, what sub would you guys recommend?

I realize any w6v2 or w7 will be "underpowered" by the 250 watt sub channel of the 500/5. However, I don't really care about volume. I like these subs for the clean, tight sound they produce, and feel they are the way to go. I really don't want to spend the extra money and give up the extra space to get more than one amp to power the sub and mains.

I listen to a lot of dance/electronic music. I want deep bass extension and tight response more than volume.

Based on this setup, and my listening requirements, which sub would be best?

My list of choices right now includes an 8w7, a 10w7, a 10w6v2, or a 12w6v2.

All thoughts appreciated on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I suggest going with two amps. One for the subs and one for the cabin speakers. If you listen to trance or anything like it than you will be much happier with 2 10s.

BTW, are you doing the install yourself???

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did some reconsidering based on more reading, more price comparisons, and my needs.

Here's what I'm leaning towards.

JL 10w7
JL 500/1
JL 300/4
Focal 136k
Focal 165ca
Alpine CDA-9807

I've never done much car stereo work, but I'd like to be able to do as much of the installs myself as I possibly can.

I plan to build my own box at the very least. I could build an awesome box for a lot cheaper than any stereo store would charge me.

Beyond that, I really don't know. I'm pretty good with electronics, and have been doing a lot of reading. I'd like to think I could do most of it on my own.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Believe me, if you have the time and patience of installing the system yourself, then do it. Nothing is more rewarding then finishing a project yourself.

If this is the first time your installing any car audio system then it will take time and possibly a lot of material to get it done. The first time around might cost a little more than getting it done at the shop. Especially if you build the box wrong the first few times. Expect to make numerous trips to your local Home Depot for little bolts. nuts, screws, glue, etc... Most likely you'll have difficulty removing door panels and other trims when wiring, but thats what this board is all about, helping others! Other than that everything should be pretty much straight forward everything you buy will come with installation instructions so don't worry. You could always run to the book store and pick up a Car audio basics book for about 30 bucks.

Anyway, good luck on whichever route you choose to go!

·
Registered
82 Posts
playinJ30 said:
a 10W6v2 would be the best option by far... W7 has good response, but not like the W6... if you want clarity you gotta go w/ the W6v2 for sure... i've researched trust me
I AGREE:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts