BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2004 BMW 325i Sedan which I am going to be giving to my dad as an extra vehicle. Ive decided id like to move onto a faster vehicle.

Ive always loved bimmers and have always adorned the M3 including the e30. Ive narrowed down my choice to my new car to either an e36 M3 or an e46 M3, both are very nice cars.

Im kind of leaning towards the e46 since it is newer and should have less wear. Im really intersted in trying forced induction on my M3.

With an AA supercharger you can get up to 500bhp+ hp on an M3 which is very nice but I saw that an e36 m3 can get up to 750bhp+ with a turbo.

I want this car to be a daily driver that I can really enjoy. Do you think 750bhp would be to much? I really think an e46 M3 with a supercharger would be perfect what do you all think?

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I can't imagine 750 turbo hp is practical for daily driving, but I'm sure there are many that do it. But if you have the cash to S/C an e46 M3, I'd say do that. I love the e36 M3 and 750hp is attratcive, but the "new" factor, style and comfort of the e46 will be well worth it IMO.

·
Loves cookies
1,879 Posts
I can't imagine 750 turbo hp is practical for daily driving, but I'm sure there are many that do it. But if you have the cash to S/C an e46 M3, I'd say do that. I love the e36 M3 and 750hp is attratcive, but the "new" factor, style and comfort of the e46 will be well worth it IMO.
I would go with the E46 M3, personally i would prefer to leave the engine stock with the exception of some minor dinan mods but no supercharging. I mean c'mon 333hp is more than enough for daily driving what do you plan to do with 500 or 750hp on public roads?

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
if you're gonna SC an E46 M3, you might as well get a brand new E92 335i. i'm sure within a year or so there will be many products out there that will make the 335i realy fast without having to shell out the kinda money to SC an M3.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Is 750 too much? You currently have what would be considered a fast car with 184hp. 750hp is 4 times as much. Do I think it's too much for daily driving? YES. That said, it will be very very expensive getting that kind of power out of the M3 engine. Bolt on only will not give that kind of power so expect MAJOR engine work. Reliability will be a factor too.

I don't know what your experience level is but I would attend advanced driving/racing courses and get some serious track time in your current vehicle.

All that said, a 750hp M3 is a bad a$* car.

Cheers.

ps:I had an acquaintance that loved really fast daily drivers. He had many. One of his cars was a 700+hp Lexus SC. One bright sunny DRY day he and his car got into an argument with a tree. Both he and the car lost. RIP.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On to the point of my driving experience. I love driving and have always been good at it. The first time I jumped in a car I was able to drive with no problems. Manual transmissions were like if they were programmed inside my brain before I even knew what a car was.

Ive taken a 2 day race class and a 3 day racing course at skip barbers in california and florida.

I also did an F1 driving experience in germany which was simply amazing.

Ive been lucky enough to drive in some very nice and modded BMW's and simply love the way a forced induction inline 6 feels. Along with its already wonderful sounding engine it just gets even better.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you're gonna SC an E46 M3, you might as well get a brand new E92 335i. i'm sure within a year or so there will be many products out there that will make the 335i realy fast without having to shell out the kinda money to SC an M3.
Ive looked into the 335i its a very nice vehicle with alot of potential. However the turbo's are built in a way that its very hard to work with them. Basically its two small turbos built into one. I would also have to drop a nice amount of cash to get a Limited Slip Diff since the 335i does't come with one.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
E46 M3 6MT with SC all the way. Newer and more comfortable than E36 with stable "always on" HP. :) I've got no love for turbo... :jack:
Well...an S/C has a lot more parasitic drag than a turbo and is way less efficient. For the same money I would go with a 335. Modern computer controlled turbos (especially with a twin, small turbine setup like the 335) have barely detectable lag.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ive narrowed down my choice to my new car to either an e36 M3 or an e46 M3...

what do these models have to do with a 335? :dunno:

Only Price? But the gentleman seemingly wants an E46. You can have a supercharged E46 M3 for far less than $40,600. :hmm:

jkalex05, share more details and you may get more targeted responses...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts