BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I have to say I was really impressed by this car tonight. His car is a 5 speed 325ci and he had swapped his 3.15 diff for a 3.46. Wow this thing pulls real hard. It felt like my 330 and I think Garret drove it too and said the same. I cannot wait to do the 3.46 on my 330. It's going to haul ass and then I can finally rape Garret who is stock and pulled on me tonight. I got :eek:wned:. I dont get it. He thinks its my 19s compared to his 17s....whatever it is my car is begging for the 3.46...stay tuned

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garret has a 330....the one who got a 3.46 is Brendan...he has a 325

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
Other than the 3.46 i have a Benfer CF intake. that is all.

ride home was fun. got pulled over for a BS 72mph, but no ticket, no warning :D

licence back for 48hrs, and look what happens :lmao:

Mini-Review:

The diff is INSANE, i love it. gears are perfectly placed now, matching RPM's seems to be so effortless, its wonderful. All i need is a 6th gear now, so i can regain some of my lost fuel economy!

Economy dipped from an average of 24.5 to 21.0, which isnt toooo shabby, considering the car has been driven hard today and while she was "prisoner" down in philly :lmao:

Pulls SO hard up to about 110 when it appears to lose some steam. max torque is at 3500 RPM, and i am now turning 3750 RPM at 80mph. at 105mph the RPM are exactly 5000. Saw 130 on the speedo on the way home, pegged at 6000 RPM. still had room to go til 6500 RPM, but i didnt feel like taking it that high, car felt like it was running out of steam a little.

overall, best bang for the buck. diff's are getting easier to find online now, for insanely low prices, with decent milage. i reccomend this to all 2.5L guys who are sick of being consistantly beat on by 330's :thumbup:

·
Rogue Engineering
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brendan,
As soon as the 330 guys get a hold of these...it will just be like the stock 325s to the 330s.... :lmao:

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
Straz 330Ci said:
Brendan,
As soon as the 330 guys get a hold of these...it will just be like the stock 325s to the 330s.... :lmao:
then the M guys will start crying, Matt, and the stores will sell out of 4.10 M3 LSD's :lmao:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
wow... that's horrible... 130mph topping out.. i'd DIE if my 330ci topped out at 130.. considering that i cruise at 130 on the freeway and it seems to have plenty juice to push a lil bit furthur had i removed my top speed governer

·
-not a mod-
31,408 Posts
Damn I need to get a new diff.. how hard was the swap? Any major changes needed or is it just a basic swap?

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,330 Posts
How safe is it for the car to be revving so much higher and so constantly?

·
Registered
214 Posts
simsima325 said:

then the M guys will start crying, Matt, and the stores will sell out of 4.10 M3 LSD's :lmao:

Leave us out of it bro! :lmao:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Whered you buy it from? I know Rennsport sells them but you can get them from a junkyard or from the dealer too. I think the 325 auto uses a higher diff., dont know if its 3.46 though

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
mbanks21 said:
Whered you buy it from? I know Rennsport sells them but you can get them from a junkyard or from the dealer too. I think the 325 auto uses a higher diff., dont know if its 3.46 though
it is a 3.46 in the 325 Auto.

faheem- this is a concern of mine also. but i think this is a good mod for me, should keep me from seing 130 all that often, which is safer than i was operating before :D

i cruise on the highway at 85mph, 4000RPM, that isnt too shabby.

i have also realized that using cruise control is so handy now. gotta keep my fuel economy!

RPM and speed drop much faster when u let off the gas at speed, since the car is turning higher revs.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
I love diff swaps. In my old 535is, I replaced the 3.25 with a 3.73. My 2002 will soon get a 3.91 LS to replace the current 3.64 open diff.

Ed

·
Registered
266 Posts
Straz-

What is your target date for the diff. swap ??

I cant wait to hear your opinion when its all done :D

(I am adding another freakin' 75 lbs with my hardtop option, which is just that much more reason to stay in the know on this stuff.)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Account closed per your request.count closed per y
457 Posts
Hey, sorry if i am just stupid and didn't understand your post... but you put the 3.46 diff from an auto 325 on your 5spd?

if not.. where did you get it from? how much was it... and what about the instal.. did you do it yourself? if you did how hard was it.. and if not, how much was the labor.. how many hrs can i expect for this.

I am probably going to be getting an AA Super charger around march... do you think this would have any increased issues with the diff?

Thanks for any and all help and information... much appreciated!

and i'm glad to hear that there are other ways besides FI for us 2.5ers to get up to the 330s... i bet FI and Diff. would put it in the ///M range cause AA says the 325 will put down 310 with SC only...

thanks again!

-Tre

simsima325 said:

it is a 3.46 in the 325 Auto.

faheem- this is a concern of mine also. but i think this is a good mod for me, should keep me from seing 130 all that often, which is safer than i was operating before :D

i cruise on the highway at 85mph, 4000RPM, that isnt too shabby.

i have also realized that using cruise control is so handy now. gotta keep my fuel economy!

RPM and speed drop much faster when u let off the gas at speed, since the car is turning higher revs.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts