BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Holy moly this is my kind of obsessive car modification!
Can't wait to see the whole thing... Gota add all this to my long long long list of things to do!
Stop listing, start doing! Good to see you're still alive and lurking!

P.S. Have you seen his fabric for the seats?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Stop listing, start doing! Good to see you're still alive and lurking!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I tell myself that every day I walk into the shed... I seriously need a clone.
I'll have some updates soon :)

No.. I did not. I must investigate..

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Sorry I've been kind of quiet. I'm wiring up my back-up camera at the same time I'm doing the headliner. I'm not great with electrical stuff. It's been a little more challenging than I'd like. I've had to pull apart a lot more of the car than I would have had to just for the headliner. That has uncovered some shitty work that I'll have to deal with. I'm not going to replace a LOT of expensive parts if I can avoid it. I have a solution I'm going to try for the trim under the spoiler (should have pics this weekend). It's only a little ghetto, but not nearly as bad as the double sided tape the Troglodytes used. It can be undone easier and I figure what the heck. I may as well try what I can for cheap right now. Could turn out great.

Upside is I did get the broken wire soldered. I found out I solder about as well as I weld. All lumpy. But I think it will hold up fine. Just used more solder than should have been necessary. I have a pic I'll post this week.

I also found out the Troglodytes filled all the wiring boots with silicone. Wish I could kick them in the nuts about now. It's going to complicate matters and probably foment a less than sano solution. I've poked and prodded in places, so we'll see.

I mentioned that I'm not the best with electrical crap. I started to work on the wiring of the camera over the weekend, in between watching the SpaceX launch, docking, and entering the ISS. I wasn't seeing what I expected. I ordered a new intermediate cable. THEN I realized what I was looking at was another intermediate cable what was attached when I installed the Dynavin N6 four years ago. Crap. I'm going to have to pull out the N6 (was going to anyway) and rework some things, but now I think I have a better idea what is going on.

My goal for the week now is to remove the N6 and fill the hole for the security module. If I can get those things done during the week, I have a good chance of finishing everything this weekend.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
OK, semi-related question for you guys that have a Dynavin N6 (yes, I'm also asking in the electronics forum - I'm naughty, but I figure you guys would respond quicker)...

I've hooked up the camera. In the System menu, under Reverse, I selected CAM.

When I put the car in reverse I get nothing. When I go to the Camera icon in the main menu I get nothing... Until I select reverse. Weird.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,216 Posts
OK, semi-related question for you guys that have a Dynavin N6 (yes, I'm also asking in the electronics forum - I'm naughty, but I figure you guys would respond quicker)...

I've hooked up the camera. In the System menu, under Reverse, I selected CAM.

When I put the car in reverse I get nothing. When I go to the Camera icon in the main menu I get nothing... Until I select reverse. Weird.

Any ideas?
Did you hook up the green trigger wire to the head unit? It sounds like the unit isn't getting a signal that the car is in reverse to switch to the cam. You don't get anything until you put it in reverse when you're in cam because you've powered the cam off the reverse light circuit.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Did you hook up the green trigger wire to the head unit? It sounds like the unit isn't getting a signal that the car is in reverse to switch to the cam. You don't get anything until you put it in reverse when you're in cam because you've powered the cam off the reverse light circuit.
OK, that makes sense to me. I did install the trigger wire, but I used a clamp-on bullet connector on the camera trigger. It's a REALLY fine gauge wire. It may be it's not making a good connection. I'll check that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you did power it off the reverse, and you do also have a trigger wire, consider going back into the gate to change that to ignition power. That way your trigger wire can turn the HU to cam in reverse, but you can also select it any other tome neeeded. The

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Well crap.

Installed a new bullet connector on the trigger wire. I know that has a good physical connection with the wires now. Same issue.

Next question: Can I trigger the camera off the same wire that powers it? My little monkey brain says I should be able to. It's just a positive wire triggering a switch, right?

If that answer is yes, then I guess I need to check continuity (got to get a new tester - used to have a really nice, simple Rat Shack one with auto scaling for resistance testing - no idea where it went).

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
If you did power it off the reverse, and you do also have a trigger wire, consider going back into the gate to change that to ignition power. That way your trigger wire can turn the HU to cam in reverse, but you can also select it any other tome neeeded. The
I actually tapped the power for the camera into the positive wire for the reverse light. Then, due to space issues, tapped into the power wire for the camera for the trigger.

:dunno:

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks to a continuity tester, I figured it out. The gauge of the trigger wire is so small, the Scotchlok didn't break through the insulation. Before I pulled the Scotchlok, I tested continuity from the bar across the Scotchlok to the RCA connector. Nada. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do about it.

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,216 Posts
Like I said in the other thread, I pulled the positive terminal from the reverse light terminal and soldered my power wire for the camera directly to the terminal, then popped it back into the connector.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
That was it. Thanks for all the help Vick. Once you said it, it was obvious to me, but I hate electrical crap. Burned me too many times. I cut the wire, wound the cut and the end of the trigger wire all together and viola! It works.

Not thrilled with my choice of camera. The view is only waist high, but it works. The upside is I can actually see the edge of the bumper itself, so no guessing in those terms.

Now, I have to swap out a CD/DVD drive in the N6. Then, installation is the reverse of disassembly. Actually, I'm going to plug the security hole in the headliner board today. If I can get a neighbor to help, I'll put the fabric on later as well.

Thanks again.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
OK, got the front end buttoned up (N6, glovebox, and dash trim). I had a busted piece on the top of the glovebox where the screws go through. I executed the same fix there that I did on the A pillar. Works like a charm.

I have the hatch almost buttoned up. I wanted to consult the TIS again before trying to put things back. Twenty year old German plastic and all. You understand. Everything is back together except the two big pieces on the hatch.

I thought long and hard about the Troglodyte German Auto Body repairs to the hatch trim. Did I want to spend the $160 to NOS German plastic to replace it? George Hill told me those things usually break. So, I considered another solution that would hold, yet be possible to remove without breaking the plastic. Velcro. Initially I put the Velcro where the factory fasteners go. The Velco couldn't quite connect as the body connectors are recessed (I removed the body connectors). So, I just put the Velcro next to where the factory tabs should be. Seems to work. I just used what I had on-hand, but if it loosens I'll go get either some Industrial Velcro (easily available at Home Depot) or order some military Velcro. I was going to take pics, but I put the trim piece on to test it, had to press a little to make good contact, and then decided y'all could figure it out easily enough. I didn't want to disturb it once in place. If it comes loose, I'll shoot pics before putting it back with Industrial Velcro.

I'll finish with a few ugly pics:

My ugly solder job. FWIW, this was a bitch. With the boot fill with silicone, I was lucky to pull out enough wire to be able to trim it, position it for soldering, and snug things back up.

Not quite buttoned up, but better. Wrapped it with friction tape before snugging up the boots a little bit.

I didn't use a license plate light camera because I wanted a little more of an OEM looks and didn't want to shadow the plate.

What I ended up with. Should have just used the license plate light camera. This one shadows the plate anyway. Oh well. Both required some modifications to the hatch trim above the plate.

This boot going into the inside of the hatch was also filled with silicone. You can see a little glob there. Made it a real bitch to feed the wire through. There is a brown wire here as well as a wiper blade reinforcement piece threaded through to help me get the wire through. I ditched the metal piece, taped the wires together and cussed and fussed (as well as cutting my hand), but finally got it through.

I hope tonight to cut out the plug for the headliner board and maybe even attach it. I have a plan (but we know about the best laid plans for mice and men). Or if you prefer... Man plans, God laughts.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
And just like that, the hatch is buttoned up again. Whew. Could NOT have done it w/o the TIS.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Good job George! It's about time that you got that camera in!
:D
No kidding. Right?

Didn't get to plugging the security hole in the headliner board today. Still hoping to get the fabric on it before the weekend so I can get everything operational again.

Got an AC issue to mess with though. I'll probably add some refrigerant and pray it gets me through the summer.

·
Registered
2000 323iT - Orientblau Metallic
206 Posts
Looks great! I still need to install my camera in the rear. However; I am waiting till I retrofit my rear fogs to tackle that project!

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
OK, a little good, bad, and ugly today.

Finally have the plug for the headliner board in. Should have been easier than I made it.

First I found some cardboard within 0.010" of the thickness of the headliner board. I traced the opening to the cardboard and VERY carefully cut it out and sanded the raised edges. So far so good. Test fit was quite acceptable.

Here's where it started going bad and got ugly.

I glued the plug to some heavy paper using Elmers. The idea was to glue the plug flat to the paper, so when I glued the paper to the board, everything would work out great and I could have a beer and admire my work.

Great in theory...

Two things happened. The paper wrinkled. Ugh, not good, but I could sand it a bit (remember, paper is a wood product). But... When I glued it all to the headliner board, either I messed up from the get-go and didn't notice, or the plug shifted.

Here you can see a lot of wrinkles and imperfections too large to assume they wouldn't show through 1/8" of foam.

I sanded the crap out of it and almost got it acceptable, except... One edge stood proud. Sanding wasn't cutting it, so I opened up the edge about half way around it all to relieve some pressure. I decided to use part of a manila folder to cover it all this time, once I knew I could get it flat.

Because the paper on the first attempt was 8x8", I needed to go larger than I could without using the fold. I spent about a half hour rubbing and scraping the fold to get it flat. It's MUCH flatter than it appears in this photo and I'm not too concerned about it showing through. I don't think manila folder is so thick the edge will show up through the 1/8" foam. I'm going to have to be very careful spreading out the fabric when I attach it. More on that in a minute.

All it all it looks TONS better. In the photo it looks like there is a big depression, but in real life, it's not noticeable. I think I'm good to go.

I know from doing the headliner on my previous E46 not to press too hard when smoothing out the fabric. On my previous work, I ended up with one spot I pressed too hard and it left a permanent impression in the fabric. I think some glue got up in the foam and that caused it to have the depression. I'm going to lay down the fabric tomorrow morning. With two helpers holding the fabric, I'll lightly press down and make the contact between the fabric and the board, smoothing as I go. If I don't press too hard the edge of the manila folder and the ever so slight depression will not show up.

My plan is to cover the board early in the morning and then install everything after lunch. Wish me luck. I think I'm ready.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
It is done. Well, not 100%, but substantially complete.

Left to do: Cover and install sunroof motor cover. Reinstall the sunroof trim (didn't quite get it in tight enough and have some extra. Have to order another yard for the sunroof. I measured and I could maybe have done the sunroof with what I had, but it would have been exceedingly close. Too close for my skills.

Sadly, you can see my efforts to cover the security opening. Don't think I'd do that again, especially since I have the material to cover the old one. Oh well. You can barely notice it (you'll have to be looking for it). Only other error is I didn't get one of the recesses for the grab handles smoothed out properly before it took a set. :( I got it mostly settled down, but cutting the holes for the handles, the knife slipped a bit and nicked the fabric and it tore a little and you can see if. I may have a solution - not an ideal one, but it will cover the tear. I'm going to wait on that and think about it a bit. Other than that, it went great.

Interesting thing... Yet another difference between the Euro and the US market parts. I couldn't get the grab handles to go in properly. Finally looked at the US parts. The "pin" is thinner and oblong, whereas the Euro is larger diameter round pin (0.101" thick vs 0.067" for the US part). Nothing a file didn't resolve quickly, but it was a head scratcher at first.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. I need to get ready for a neighbor's party tonight, and bloody hell, I need a shower! Plus, tomorrow I'll have the sunroof cover in and the sunroof trim. I'll have to order the material for the sunroof on Monday. I have a regular black sunroof shade I can install in the meantime if I want. Not sure I can to pull the sunroof twice. All in all, pretty happy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is done. Well, not 100%, but substantially complete.

Left to do: Cover and install sunroof motor cover. Reinstall the sunroof trim (didn't quite get it in tight enough and have some extra. Have to order another yard for the sunroof. I measured and I could maybe have done the sunroof with what I had, but it would have been exceedingly close. Too close for my skills.

Sadly, you can see my efforts to cover the security opening. Don't think I'd do that again, especially since I have the material to cover the old one. Oh well. You can barely notice it (you'll have to be looking for it). Only other error is I didn't get one of the recesses for the grab handles smoothed out properly before it took a set. :( I got it mostly settled down, but cutting the holes for the handles, the knife slipped a bit and nicked the fabric and it tore a little and you can see if. I may have a solution - not an ideal one, but it will cover the tear. I'm going to wait on that and think about it a bit. Other than that, it went great.

Interesting thing... Yet another difference between the Euro and the US market parts. I couldn't get the grab handles to go in properly. Finally looked at the US parts. The "pin" is thinner and oblong, whereas the Euro is larger diameter round pin (0.101" thick vs 0.067" for the US part). Nothing a file didn't resolve quickly, but it was a head scratcher at first.

I'll take some pics tomorrow. I need to get ready for a neighbor's party tonight, and bloody hell, I need a shower! Plus, tomorrow I'll have the sunroof cover in and the sunroof trim. I'll have to order the material for the sunroof on Monday. I have a regular black sunroof shade I can install in the meantime if I want. Not sure I can to pull the sunroof twice. All in all, pretty happy.
I had the same problem with the grab handles. Pulling the sunroof isn't too bad, but I guess it is a two person job. Looking forward to seeing photos!

81 - 100 of 103 Posts