BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Scheiße!

This whole project just got a LOT more sporting.

As part of this project, I'm trying to finally get around to installing my back-up camera. I've taken GREAT care taking plastic bits apart and reviewing both the TIS and the photos on ECS (as well as checking prices to see just how risky every move was.

As I was looking at how I would route the video feed wire, I noticed I had a ground (brown) wire that was showing copper (the insulation was off and I could see this because the wiring boot is split). I thought, "Oh, I'm going to have to do something with that and as soon as I touched it, it broke in another place. Inside the boot. OK, I thought I'd just pull the wire out and solder it up (as bad as I am with soldering). Nope. won't pull out. Looking things over carefully I realized two things:

1. The trim at the top of the hatch (under the spoiler) was being held in place by one, count 'em, ONE tab. Scheiße! That's a $160 part.
2. Looks like the spoiler is going to have to come off to fix it. NOT what I had on my To Do list.

Scheiße!

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, heck, I just wanna kick someone in the nuts.

I looked up how that trim attached and confirmed what I thought. Went out to the garage to remove it. Wouldn't come off. With a little prying and looking around with a flashlight, I found out why. Some Troglodyte stuck the sumbitch in place with double sided tape. Yeah. No kidding. With a long screwdriver and some poking and prodding I got it off.

Going to install the camera (not hooked up though) and remove the spoiler and call it a day. There's a beer or two with my name on it for sure. I guess the one good thing about this CV19 crap is I'm not driving anywhere so the car can sit. Grrrr.......

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,191 Posts
That's how mine was held on for several years too. I've been driving around without one for a little over a year now because I still need to remove the spoiler at some point with my painting project and I don't want to break the tabs on the used replacement one that I got.

Maybe some of Mark D's SS lasercut tabs could fix yours up?

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
That's how mine was held on for several years too. I've been driving around without one for a little over a year now because I still need to remove the spoiler at some point with my painting project and I don't want to break the tabs on the used replacement one that I got.

Maybe some of Mark D's SS lasercut tabs could fix yours up?
Yeah, that actually might work.

I wouldn't mind the tape so much except it was such a bear to get off. Now that I know it's there, I'd know what to do in the future.

Bottom line is whether it's worth the $160. If this were a seldom driven garage queen I'd definitely go for it. Now is not a good time to decide. After all this, we found out our fridge isn't running cool enough. It's less than 4 years old! Turns out we think it's because the coils were filled with dog hair (100lb golden retriever in the house).

Screw it all. I'm getting a shower and we're going out for dinner. Red meat and beer will make the world right. And if not, at least the journey will be fun. :D

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Oh hey, don't know if you saw my post about installing the camera finally for my N6. I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff. Give me an engine, suspension, brakes, whatever and I'm happy. Electrical stuff and I itch all over and foam at the mouth.

What I've got is:

A camera with one female RCA connector and red and black wires. It comes with an "extension" that has a male RCA on each end with a red wire. My guess is this:

Black on camera to ground
Red on camera to back-up circuit
Red on "extension" at camera end to back-up circuit
Red on "extension" at head unit end to green trigger wire
And of course the make RCAs attach to the female RCAs at each end

Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,191 Posts
There's not much that red meat and beer can't at least make more tolerable, if not fix outright!

Check with the guy in the part out section of the classifieds, he might still have that piece and northern cars are easier on the plastics.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1273735

I got the inside hatch trim from that car. He's a good seller and it was in great shape.

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Oh yeah, one last thing...

I know a lot of people don't like ECS. I've only once had any real issue with them and they fixed it right away. They continue to earn my business because of their extensive photos of damned near ever part. That has been a godsend not only on this project, but others as well. They usually have photos from enough angles that I can tell how plastic bits go together and more importantly, come apart. I used their photos of parts EXTENSIVELY today. It was slow going, but (touch wood) I didn't break anything today (other than that bloody wire - probably the reason my defrogger wasn't working).

·
Ironman
4,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Oh, one more last thing. Finding the stuff I'm finding how is like starting to work on a house someone had before you... You find all the stupid things they did that make you shake your head. It's why I'm so very fussy about who touches my car. Usually it's just me. What a godsend it is to have George Hill reasonably nearby.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Oh, one more last thing. Finding the stuff I'm finding how is like starting to work on a house someone had before you... You find all the stupid things they did that make you shake your head. It's why I'm so very fussy about who touches my car. Usually it's just me. What a godsend it is to have George Hill reasonably nearby.
It can also be fun though trying to piece together what happened to the car in the past. My car seems to have had the drivers side mirror broken off at some point because the cover was repainted black with no clear coat and when I replaced it with a ZHP mirror to match the gloss black trim the piece of sound insulation was missing, which explained the wind noise on the highway.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I'd hit up Mark D and get some metal tabs to epoxy on. For the cost it makes so much sense. That project is on my to-do list for this week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
There's not much that red meat and beer can't at least make more tolerable, if not fix outright!

Check with the guy in the part out section of the classifieds, he might still have that piece and northern cars are easier on the plastics.

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1273735

I got the inside hatch trim from that car. He's a good seller and it was in great shape.
I'd hit up Mark D and get some metal tabs to epoxy on. For the cost it makes so much sense. That project is on my to-do list for this week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Sorry, I nabbed that part already. And used clips from Mark to get it sorted. the front was good, but 4 of the 5 clips were gone already.

I have a mostly intact one I would let go cheap to help someone out. PM me if interested and I can show the only defect besides the tabs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, heck, I just wanna kick someone in the nuts.

I looked up how that trim attached and confirmed what I thought. Went out to the garage to remove it. Wouldn't come off. With a little prying and looking around with a flashlight, I found out why. Some Troglodyte stuck the sumbitch in place with double sided tape. Yeah. No kidding. With a long screwdriver and some poking and prodding I got it off.

Going to install the camera (not hooked up though) and remove the spoiler and call it a day. There's a beer or two with my name on it for sure. I guess the one good thing about this CV19 crap is I'm not driving anywhere so the car can sit. Grrrr.......

Lol you kick the left nut - I’ll kick the right... mine is also held on with double sticky tape....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Holy moly this is my kind of obsessive car modification!
Can't wait to see the whole thing... Gota add all this to my long long long list of things to do!

61 - 80 of 103 Posts