BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did a thing the other night. While making a left turn into my development, my hand slipped off the steering wheel and I went into the grass off the road and came back onto the road. Right away I noticed a metal grinding sound. I thought it was the front right, since that's the tire that left the road, and I thought I needed to change the bearing. The next day when I listened again, I actually hear the noise coming from the left rear. That tire stayed on the road the whole time. I only hear the grinding sound when I'm turning sharp left. It's an oscillating sound. I pulled the brakes and rotor off and checked the dustshield, but that looks ok. My brakes and rotors have only 4k miles on them and they are genuine parts. I dont see any debris stuck anywhere or anything. My only thought is maybe the wheel bearing is bad now. I did notice some kind of sensor dangling from the rear trailing arm too. That just needs a blot on it. What sensor is that? Any thoughts what I damaged. I'm a dumbass

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Damn, 118, but no comments. I cant believe I would bend a bearing but they might be original since build date of 10/1/01

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
"What sensor is that? "

Is it the brake wear sensor? OE is usually a green wire.

Jack both sides of the rear and turn the noise wheel and see if you can get the sound. Also - try driving a tight slow circle around a friend to try to get a sense of location.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply Alan!

Its definitely not the brake wear sensor. It has a metal bracket that is bolted up. I'll take a pic and post

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it isn't a sensor on that bracket. The bracket looks like a support for the brake line. Will the rear tires turn easy enough to hear a sound if I jack them up? Its definitely coming from the left rear. Odd since the right front went in the grass

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
They won't turn "easily" - but they will turn. To state the obvious - you want to induce the sound, if possible, so you can trace it. Give it a go. Get a flashlight in there and get a good look for a rub, crud etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts