BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone pleae help me....so I changed my oil today and was resetting the indicator light with the trip odometer button and i did as they all say to do hold the button turn key on wait 5 sec and reset will flash and then end.....well anyways now that I did that everytime i turn the car into key position 1 it use to say oil service xxxx miles....now when I do it is say inspection 15525 and i drove around a little bit and the mileage doesn't go down it still says 15525:banghead: :banghead:....all i wanted to do was reset my oil service indicator to 15000 miles and now there seems to be no more oil service indicator!!!!......PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE!!!!:dunno: :dunno:

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
dont u need a reset tool to do this?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any other thoughts????

·
Registered
337 Posts
Reset

It is perfectly normal. See every 15000 miles you're dew for an oil change, however, every other time you are due for an inspection. So let's say you bought the car new:
From 0-15000 : Oil Service
At 30,000 miles : You need Inspection 1
At 45,000 miles : You need Oil Service
At 60,000 miles : You need Inspection 2
At 75,000 miles : you need Oil Service
At 90,000 miles : You need Inspection 1 again, and so on so forth.
So it is perfectly normal. Of course depending on what your mileage is, some inspections will have more stuff to be changed than others. Like when you get to a 100,000, spark plugs need to be changet on top of the filters etc
Hope this helps
:thumbup:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
go back to dealer ??????????

have them do it is it under warrenty if not give the car adviser a tip
he will take care of it
bobm3 :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Reset

HiMiles said:
It is perfectly normal. See every 15000 miles you're dew for an oil change, however, every other time you are due for an inspection. So let's say you bought the car new:
From 0-15000 : Oil Service
At 30,000 miles : You need Inspection 1
At 45,000 miles : You need Oil Service
At 60,000 miles : You need Inspection 2
At 75,000 miles : you need Oil Service
At 90,000 miles : You need Inspection 1 again, and so on so forth.
So it is perfectly normal. Of course depending on what your mileage is, some inspections will have more stuff to be changed than others. Like when you get to a 100,000, spark plugs need to be changet on top of the filters etc
Hope this helps
:thumbup:
Thanks for the info...but if this is the case why has it been staying at 15525 miles left till inspection...I keep driving around for about a day now and it stil says 15525 and doesnt count down...what do I do????:dunno:

·
Registered
968 Posts
The service indicator is not an exact value, and actually varies depending on your driving style. It predicts to the closest 25 or 50 miles, so what you need to do is just observe it over the period of about a hundred miles, if it still doesn't change then there's something wrong. But I think it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Inspection

srn1985,
Like Karl said, it will not be deducting the miles you drive as you drive them. You should check the total of the remaining miles till the next inspection every other day, then you'll notice them decreasing. I am positive of that. even in the same day, at the end of the day if you drive a decent amount of miles a day. Don't worry :thumbup:

·
frequent tire purchaser
668 Posts
What is your production date?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THX guys....I see now i never knew that i calculated the way you drive it has gone down 25 miles now...THX....'00 323ci

·
eh.
1,392 Posts
so after the first 15k miles, its not inspection 1? its at 30 k? hmm.. then i just want the service engine light to go away.. not the mileage.. how u do that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts