E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What our President Bush would say, the AXIS of EVIL.

YES!!
CDV!!

I can feel the most difference from the start in 1st gear.
Then into 2nd. 3rd 4th....eh not so much.
But the difference it makes in the first 2 gears are incredibly.

People say clutch stoppers are the cheapest mods huh.
Well..if you got the tools and some skills. This one is free!

In 2nd pic, the hole is a size of a booger...
That hole is where the tranny fluid flows through. Since it is shaped much worse than a bottleneck, guess what?
People bobbing heads when you start from a stop sign. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you replace it with anything, or just remove it? I've wanted to do this, but have been waiting for warranty to end (in about 400 miles), and for time to get it done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SB22 said:
Did you replace it with anything, or just remove it? I've wanted to do this, but have been waiting for warranty to end (in about 400 miles), and for time to get it done.
Just removed it.
My SA is friendly with minor mods. (Up to a certain level...I think)
I even asked him if I could just remove it.
And he didn't seem to care.
He saw my gruppe M, he saw my DDEs, he saw many things. All he said was COOL~!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Can you explain in plain english what you did, please?
And what is that thing that you removed, and how does it change the feel of 1st two gears?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zamorskii said:
Can you explain in plain english what you did, please?
And what is that thing that you removed, and how does it change the feel of 1st two gears?
Um...are my englishee bad? haha just playing....

CDV is a short for Clutch Delay Valve.
As you see in the 2nd pic, it is a device to control the speed of the clutch releasing or engaging by using a bottleneck shaped end. As a result, ppl cannot drop their clutch on their lauches and get max performance. (since clutch engages in certain rate no matter how fast ppl drop their clutches)
The other side effect is in the 1st and 2nd gears, it makes harder to shift smoothly. I felt inconsistency in the clutch when I had CDV. One day, I have constany good shifts. Another day, I have crappy clutch work.
CDV is said to be accelerating the wear of the clutch as well.

I had a transmission shop around here to remove it since I have no tools, lift, or ramps.
I printed out the DIY from www.bmw325i.net and used it as a guide.
I just borrowed their tools to follow the steps, and let them bleed the clutch.

In 1st gear start and 1st - 2nd gear shift, I see a big difference. Start is very smooth. My rpms, sometimes, would drop to <400 thus giving me a subtle vibration of the car. Now, the car rolls out very smoothly.
1st to 2nd gear, the first difference I saw was the rate of RPM drop. When I rev up to 3k rpm in 1st gear, press the clutch, it used to drop slowly, like something was in its way. Now the drop is consistant and faster. Thus giving me a chance to grab the right timing to shift to 2nd gear and release the clutch. Less bobbing, jerking from inconsistent clutch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So let me guess this straight:

1. less wear
2. better performance

why would BMW include such a part?

·
Registered
296 Posts
clarkrw3 said:
What years is this on.....Is it all e46's or just the newer ones?
my understanging is that they are fairly random on the cars they put them on. there is a list of cars that all have it but others that are not supposed to have it sometimes do. for example 01 330ci's are not supposed to have them but i will bet my life that mine does. and one day my lazy a$$ will get around to removing it. and no m3's are supposed to have it but some people have reported removing it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
330Pilot said:
So let me guess this straight:

1. less wear
2. better performance

why would BMW include such a part?
it is supposed to help save the drivetrain from shock from beginner drivers droping the clutch and what not. so that they dont have to replace parts under warentee from bad drivers

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
andykang82 said:
you are korean hha
im korean too
juss wanna say hi.. :rolleyes:

SSUP
I suppose there are some other Koreans here too.
I once saw Baby Vox pics on someone's sig.
:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks for informing me about the CDV. I plan to do it this weekend, but is it necessary to bleed the brake fluid though after, as shown on the website? :hmm:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
///SC3 said:
thanks for informing me about the CDV. I plan to do it this weekend, but is it necessary to bleed the brake fluid though after, as shown on the website? :hmm:
Bleeding....is important.
You never want airbubbles in your tranny fluid.
And by opening and taking out the CDV, you will put airbubbles into the system.
Bleeding, followed up by filling the the reservoir is important I think.

·
Registered
125 Posts
SB22 said:
I wonder if it would be noticed during lease return.
Has anyone attempted to drill a larger hole in the CDV and put it back?

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
proveg said:
I wonder if it would be noticed during lease return.
Has anyone attempted to drill a larger hole in the CDV and put it back?
Unless it becomes an epidemic of failed clutches (not bloody likely) the dealers won't notice. Not to mention that they have been very wishy washy on witch E46s come with the CDV. The M3 isn't supposed to have one, but sometimes does :rolleyes:

Worst case- just claim ignorance and play dumb :dunno:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts