BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had a crack in one wheel and replaced it with the same rim from another car. I had the wheels mounted and balanced by a shop but now I have a clunk and the steering wheel shake at highway speeds. I’ve read the new rim could be unbalanced or the new wheel(not bent) could expose an issue that was masked by the cracked rim.

I only had the new rim balanced. Would I need to balance the wheels in pairs?I will be taking it back to the shop to have it rebalanced in case a wheel weight fell off. Any other ideas why I would feel this?

All suspension components have been replaced with new tires. Car drove perfectly before the change.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hi all, I had a crack in one wheel and replaced it with the same rim from another car. I had the wheels mounted and balanced by a shop but now I have a clunk and the steering wheel shake at highway speeds. I’ve read the new rim could be unbalanced or the new wheel(not bent) could expose an issue that was masked by the cracked rim.

I only had the new rim balanced. Would I need to balance the wheels in pairs?I will be taking it back to the shop to have it rebalanced in case a wheel weight fell off. Any other ideas why I would feel this?

All suspension components have been replaced with new tires. Car drove perfectly before the change.
What's the air pressure in the new rim? Shops are famous for throwing in 45+ psi.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out to check and it was filled to 40psi but I lowered it to 36psi for both sides and will take a drive.

·
Registered
2004 BMW 325ci convertible
109 Posts
You might need to have it re-balanced.

Make sure that the wheel bolts are torqued down properly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will head to the shop and will provide an update. My original rims were made in Czech Republic and the rim I bought is made in Italy. All other specs and part numbers are the same. Would this make any difference? They are both OEM BMW but came off a different car year.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 750K km
1,015 Posts
You have to understand clearly what balancing does to your wheel. It only fixes difference in weight of different sides of wheel. It cannot eliminate effect of bent rim or shape irregularity of a tire. Imagine the wheel of oval shape. Balancing will counterweight heaviest area of a wheel, make it even (balanced) relative to the axle. Now imagine driving with that (perfectly balanced) OVAL wheel, see the picture?
Majority of tire shop technicians do not really care if there is play on tire or bend on a rim, as long as machine shows green ''OK'' on the screen, or unless there is obvious bend. So you should not blindly rely on their report.
Take wheel back to tire shop and run it , watching closely on rim shape and tire jumping.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Agree with above, and worth pointing out you first said "rim from another car" (used rim) and later said "new" rim. It's worth pointing out that the reality is you did not put a new rim on as that would be crazy expensive. So you put a used rim on and that's likely the cause of the issue. Agree with the suggestion of looking at it yourself while it is spun on the machine. Be advised most shops won't let you "due to liability"..... If this is so, or you don't want to waste time, do this:

Use a jack to lift the tire until it's barely off the ground. Now spin it as fast as you can and lay down in front of the tire (or behind if a rear tire) so you can watch the gap between the tire and ground. This will give you a good sense of if the tire or rim is out of round. You can also watch for other tire movements such as side to side or a bulge. This is what I do as its quicker. I once had an issue with 4 brand new tires the day they were mounted, and the shop kept insisting they were "fine". So, I did this on all 4 tires and sent the video to the tire manufacturer directly. The shop got a phone call immediately and I got 4 new round tires. So it's an effective way at home to check for bent rims or problematic tires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info everyone. I took it into the shop and the wheel was unbalanced. The aftermarket sensor broke off it’s screw and was hitting the rim which produced a clunking noise. Also the broken sensor also threw off the balanced wheel.
The shop was excellent and took care of the issue. After rebalancing, the car drives perfect again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts