E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a 325i this weekend.

I have a report from the last oil change - it says "cooling system is not holding pressure".

Does this mean I should stay away? That's catastrophic and indicates a blown head gasket, right? But then underneath it just recommends a standard radiator drain and refill...??

This is all the info I have to go on.

I have tried looking into this myself but am hoping for a definite NO! or ('maybe not') before I go to purchase.

Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
It could be just a leak from a hose or o-ring or head gasket. With a blown head gasket you will see white smoke out of the exhuast. You could have a independent bmw shop look it over before you buy it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
619 Posts
It could be just a leak from a hose or o-ring or head gasket. With a blown head gasket you will see white smoke out of the exhuast. You could have a independent bmw shop look it over before you buy it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
+1

IF you can verify it's not something catastrophic, you could use this to negotiate the price down significantly.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
I would ignore anything the oil change place has to say.

Take the car for a pre purchase inspection.

Draining and refilling the cooling system is not the recommended remedy for a system that leaks. Oil change shops rely on the up-sell, they want you to buy stuff that is not oil so that they can make more dollars. If the cooling system really is not capable of holding pressure, you can put in fresh coolant all day long and it still won't hold pressure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts