E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the 2 keys that came with my recently acquired 2005 325xi has had a dead remote since the day I brought it home. I tried the procedure the Bentley manual details but it didn't work. I have made a couple of long drives to try to charge it but no go. Supposedly the rechargeable battery never needs replacing but I suppose that is akin to Lifetime fluids.

Anybody know if it is possible to get the remote apart and replace the battery or have another suggestion?

Chris:help:

·
Registered
303 Posts
The Bentley procedure you are talking about was the re-synch procedure? The keys can be cut open, but be very careful or you may cut through and damage the components on the keys internal board(which could make the key not start the car). The battery has tabs spot welded to it and I have not seen a direct replacement. There is a battery that is very close (a Panasonic VL2020 I think) that can be used if the tabs are altered. There is a post or video showing a battery replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of the 2 keys that came with my recently acquired 2005 325xi has had a dead remote since the day I brought it home. I tried the procedure the Bentley manual details but it didn't work. I have made a couple of long drives to try to charge it but no go. Supposedly the rechargeable battery never needs replacing but I suppose that is akin to Lifetime fluids.

Anybody know if it is possible to get the remote apart and replace the battery or have another suggestion?

Chris:help:
Is your problem no start or no key remote?
The internal battery is for the key remote function only.
If you have no start, then you will probably need to get a new key from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
You really should just throw the key away and buy a new one. Diamond keys are not serviceable.

Keep in mind, if you try to cut the key open, you compromise its waterproof ability and risk damaging the EWS chip inside.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I've repaired many keys and I have yet to find a battery that was actually dead. Mostly I find cracked solder joints and bad switches, but, never a bad battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts