E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
unregistered user
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night that one of my Bi-xenon headlamps is discolored. :banghead: The driver's side headlamp is the brilliant white, but now my passenger side headlamp is not as bright and is giving off a purple-ish light and is not as bright as it should be. :thumbdwn: It still lights up and doesn't flicker, and illimunates the road. It is real f***** annoying and looks funny since they aren't matched now. Is this the ballast? Is the bulb bad? I don't think it is the ignitor since the headlamp still lights up ok and stays lit. I haven't had a chance to take it in to the dealer yet. I thought I would get advice here first. Anyone had this happen? :dunno:

·
Registered
557 Posts
most likely the bulb

It's most likely the bulb. I would try switching them around from one side to the other to see if the problem persists. If the problem moves with the bulbs it's probably a bulb issue. Otherwise the ballast might be getting weaker. The igniter is a non-issue in your case, as long as it starts the igniter is doing it's job.

Hopefully your car is under warranty, if not you're looking at a pretty penny for OEM bulbs. Might want to consider aftermarket D2S bulbs.

Good luck.

·
unregistered user
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was going to try to switch the bulbs around after I get off work today. I was thinking of doing the Phillips 6000k upgrade anyway...maybe this is a sign. I heard you can get a pair of phillips bulbs for the same price as on oem bulb is this true?

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,104 Posts
I just had a new Xenon installed at the dealer and the new one is sort of yellow compared with the the old one (blue-white). I'm calling the dealer tomorrow since I paid a pretty penny for the new one (cracked housing let in moisture on the old one).

Grrrrr...... It looks stupid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.