E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all: New to the site. recently picked up a 2000 330i. 198k on the clock, and third BMW. Started with a bike (k100) then E30 318 (1990). Apparently, this car had been well maitnained, but guess what - Fail:thumbdwn: Took it to BMW in Shepperaton last month. a page and a half of work. Spent $3,000 on steering a suspension. Oil leak from Oil Filter. Transimission on its way out (life time oil my arse:banghead:) and a few other things. Engine is sound, interior and exterior spot on.
So Ithought I would do the OFHG. checked on-line for part. It appears the only on-line shops for BMW parts are US based. Ordered the part, but shipping costs (would have been cheaper to by from BMW). Part arrived, so Sat put the family on ice for this job. Couldn't remove the clutch fan and ended breaking a blade off :facepalm:. Tryed to lock the main crank so I could get both hands on the job, broke another blad:ben:, thre things, swore, and had another go, locking water Pump Pully with Screw driver. Broke the pully :evil:. No problem, carried on with the fan in place. You can do this with the fan in place, bit tight but doable, should have just taken the fan plabes off to start with. Learn as you go :idea:. Finished the job, without the other issues, entire gasket replacement only took a couple of hours.
Ordered replacement parts from Pelican, parts cheap, freight a fortune. Does anyone know of an online parts supplier based in Aus? or are we slaves to flea bay and US shopping??
that aside, love the car (thankfully, only cost 15k).
anyway, thats my rant for the day. cheers all

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have always found Pelican to be reasonable even with shipping. Always found the overall cost to be significantly cheaper than the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i havent found pelican overly expensive with their freight prices at all.......
That was the direction of travel, except that it didn't travel:banghead:.

pelican is a great site, and picked up all the items I needed one stop. guess the freight is reasonable, just hate paying it, suppose I can't have it all hey.

Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
O_O mate 15k for a 00 198k 330i ??? if you don't mind me asking, what state are you from ?? and yes pelican is really the best place for 1 stop shop

also if you don't care second hands try locate euro wreckers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O_O mate 15k for a 00 198k 330i ??? if you don't mind me asking, what state are you from ?? and yes pelican is really the best place for 1 stop shop

also if you don't care second hands try locate euro wreckers
From Vic, Seymour. No problem shopping second hand. Use German wreck in Rocklea in Brisbnae, but noticed it went under in the floods. Too bad, not a bad crew there. Hope they recover. Where is Euro wreckers?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Generally if you order from Pelican and pay freight, you pay between 1/2 and 2/3 the price you pay the dealers here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Euro wreckers I'n Sydney........

For parts it's Sydney your looking for

Theirs ASV, Europe spares on woodvile road abd a few more

Abd try eBay and gumtree always seem to find bargains on their !!

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi Dave, welcome to the "club" you'll find quite a few clued up people on here, some, what they don't know, will make up! . I too just recently had to order another h'light washer cover for my car because our pup decided to alter the shape of the new one I'd already bought, the part from Pelican was like $10 but freight was $36 so ended up spending another $100 or so on additional bits, that seemed to lower the freight a bit. S/H parts weeeeeeeeeeell, if you don't mind putting up with all the BS, getting stuffed around, paying too much & have plenty of time for chasing them up etc etc ....... go for it, & e bay, I bought a osf "wing" for mine out of Ireland, still waiting for it ( that was before Xmas ). Apparently, lifetime oil in gear boxes is quite common in a lot of cars now, "I think lifetime" means till out of warranty Jeff

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^ :rofl:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Dave, check out this website for great products:
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 :thumbup:
Mate: Cheers for the site. Plugged into some maintenance parts, as I recon the car wil not need a great deal of perfromance parts while its sitting on stands, so ripped into the elbow grease. lao noticed the blinkers where a bit slow, so hooked up the blinker fluid. Should make the FLASH :woot:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts