E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 325ci I get around 330 to 345, anyway to make it better? I know that if I keep driving on the yellow light ill get more, but once it goes on or even prior to it, I fill up!

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't let it get much under 1/4 tank. Decreases chances of starving your fuel pump or picking up trash from the bottom of the tank. :thumbup:

·
Registered
186 Posts
cool story, i get around 400 on a 16 gallons or so
Me too, with highway and city driving mixed. Average MPG shows ~24. If there were no traffic congestion on my commute I am sure it would be approaching 30MPG (providing I do not give in to temptation too many times and floor it).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
it really makes no difference what others get, unless you find someone with the same exact driving habits and state of tune.
The following will help with gas mileage
- drive gently
- drive 55mph on the fwy. 65 mph may be only 10mph but wind resistance increases exponentially.
- if you have 18in wheels, ditch them for smaller and/or lighter wheels
- wider tires increase wind resistance
- do inspection I and II
- before my roof bike rack, I was getting more than 26mpg. After installing it, I get 24mpg or so.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
In the 330, I was getting about 320-340 miles before the yellow light came on. With the M3, I get anywhere between 180 and 240... Usually it's around 220. I am driving less highway than I used to though. (Before my life's circumstances required me to drive 500-700 miles a week... these days I'm doing maybe 150 a week)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i have a 04 325i with stock wheels and im only getting like 230-250 miles before the yellow light lights. What seems to be wrong with my car? I don't drive that much on the freeway, only for short distance.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wider tires will increase your rolling resistance much more than your drag...

I get around 400mi per tank if I combo city and highway, if it's just highway I can usually hit 470-500.
That's awesome, what u driving? Any modicfication for such high miles?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the 330, I was getting about 320-340 miles before the yellow light came on. With the M3, I get anywhere between 180 and 240... Usually it's around 220. I am driving less highway than I used to though. (Before my life's circumstances required me to drive 500-700 miles a week... these days I'm doing maybe 150 a week)
Really an m3 is that bad? I was hoping its a bit better! Does it depend if manual or auto?

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Really an m3 is that bad? I was hoping its a bit better! Does it depend if manual or auto?

Mileage should be the same between SMG and manual since the mechanical bits are the same and the weight is nearly the same. Mine is a manual fwiw.

I think I can squeeze out 25-26mpg if I do a pure highway drive, but combined I'm getting more along the lines of 19

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Driving on highways only iv gotten it to be around 365 before the light, am I doing something wrong or is it due to the car being at almost 100,000 ? I use 93 only!

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
Driving on highways only iv gotten it to be around 365 before the light, am I doing something wrong or is it due to the car being at almost 100,000 ? I use 93 only!

Hmm, pure highway with no traffic, I'd get 450 before the light came on in my old 330

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I don't believe my light for fuel has ever lit up but in the warmer weather I will get mid 20's around town and in the winter, right around 19-20 mpg.

Pure highway - 28-31 mpg.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts