BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My friend went on vacation for a month. He came back and drove his bimmer last night. Both of his xenon lights were out.

We removed his headlights and took out the ballast. We opened the ballast and found out that there were WATER in his ballast. The entire ballast and PCB (printed circuit board (aka computer mainboard) was soaked in water.

There were "rust" stain all over the PCB. The rust stain is white (maybe some of the capacitors were leaking or something). The rust stain look more like a battery leaking then anything else.

ANyhow, his BMW is out of warranty. Therefore, no replacement for us =(

We took off his PCB board. Dried it for a day (air dry and using a hair dryer). We scrub all the "rust stain off" from the chips, capacitors, resistors, etc.

Today, we put back the ballast and WOW-----the **** light up like nothing else.

This is a perfect example of how TRUE GERMAN ENGINEER KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Mr right Xenon light work intermittantly. Perhaps I should give that a try and check out the ballast.
 

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
Joined
·
4,336 Posts
Excempt that it happened in the first place I don't think that says anything good for it. Glad you guys got it workign again though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL.

Sorry, I guess it german engineering sucks because water can leak into the ballast.

Anyhow, what I am trying to say is that it is GOOD because the ballast still work after it was soaked with water.
 

·
call me kev :D
Joined
·
6,308 Posts
now see... if you were to have a lexus.. acura or any japanese cars.. u wouldn't even have to worry about ballast soaked in water.. heck there wouldn't be anything to worry about ;)
 

·
No more E46 :(
Joined
·
2,656 Posts
e46boy said:
now see... if you were to have a lexus.. acura or any japanese cars.. u wouldn't even have to worry about ballast soaked in water.. heck there wouldn't be anything to worry about ;)
LoL! I thought the exact same thing when I was reading the original post!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Bmw's are more of a status symbol (and i like them better)

but lexus makes some fine quality cars, and with the turbo kits they offer for some of them, they will smoke m3's...

its just a question of what your looking for in a car...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,872 Posts
e46boy said:
now see... if you were to have a lexus.. acura or any japanese cars.. u wouldn't even have to worry about ballast soaked in water.. heck there wouldn't be anything to worry about ;)
Then again, if it was a lexus or a toyota or any japanese car, you'd have your xenon's yanked outta ur car if ya decided to park on the street one night.

Those things get stolen ALL the damn time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
WannaBM3 said:
Bmw's are more of a status symbol (and i like them better)

but lexus makes some fine quality cars, and with the turbo kits they offer for some of them, they will smoke m3's...

its just a question of what your looking for in a car...
My wife drives the BMW, I drive the Lexus, the IS seems a bit more masculine, personal opinion of course.

As for the lights being stolen, that is mostly the CL and TL acuras and the nissans
 

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
Joined
·
5,186 Posts
JCz04Bimmer said:


Then again, if it was a lexus or a toyota or any japanese car, you'd have your xenon's yanked outta ur car if ya decided to park on the street one night.

Those things get stolen ALL the damn time.
thats the same thing for BMW's. a lot of bimmers were having their xenons yanked a couple years back
 

·
First 19" ZHP
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
i do think bmw is more of a status symbol they build very good and strong cars but it seems we all have a lot of little problems suck as speaker rattle and door handles breaking and windows getting stuck my sisters accord is 5 years old with 150000 miles and still running strong havent had one problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
are you sure your wife isnt wearing the pants? lol

you sound like ur the one wearin the skirt

sduquette said:


My wife drives the BMW, I drive the Lexus, the IS seems a bit more masculine, personal opinion of course.

As for the lights being stolen, that is mostly the CL and TL acuras and the nissans
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
My gf has an IS and after i got my car, she wants one too. She said he has soooooo many problems with her IS. Loose brake calipers, something is NOW rattling in the roof, loose gas pedal, and a few other stuff. And the IS looks more masculine, umm...i dont think so. But i guess thats just my opinion.

Me for one will never trade my car for an IS, i was thinking of getting an IS before i got my car, but i'm lucky i didn't.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top