BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light is on, so I went to Autozone to rent a reader.

Go under my steering column where my OBD connect is "supposed" to be, and surprise! It's empty. Fish around with my fingers and there's no wires or plug there.

Any ideas? :hmm:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
isn't obd connector is under the hood? passenger side empty box?
my mechanic connected obd scanner there when my check engine light came on.

btw, did you fix the heated seat yet?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't obd connector is under the hood? passenger side empty box?
my mechanic connected obd scanner there when my check engine light came on.

btw, did you fix the heated seat yet?
Haven't checked under the hood yet but I'll look.

No, I've been freezing my ass off without my heated seats. :banghead:

What's your progress???

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
OBD port is under the steering column, behind a little flip-open door.

The round one under the hood on early E46's is called a DLC port. It's not on cars built after January 2000, if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey slow323ci, I know you had a "friendly" thread with ADA a while ago about the OBD connector (and proved him wrong) but I opened the ODB panel under the steering column and the connector isn't there. This is for my wifey's '99 328i.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
oh. if it is for your wife's 99 328i, then it must be under the hood passenger side empty box.
there is a round cap.

i haven't fix heated seat yet. :cry: and it's like -20C here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
if its not on the panel under that small door chances are it came out of its clips and is now on the panel instead of being at the opening take the panel down ill bet money its there happened in my car twice already

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
Hey slow323ci, I know you had a "friendly" thread with ADA a while ago about the OBD connector (and proved him wrong) but I opened the ODB panel under the steering column and the connector isn't there. This is for my wifey's '99 328i.

Any ideas?
It must have snapped off the mounting panel and is floating around under the dash somewhere. It's just snapped in and it pops out easily, I've chased mine around under there several times. Unless someone cut it off.... I don't know if that's even possible without trigging the check engine light, though.

Federal law mandated that every car and light truck sold in the US as a model year 1996 or newer have the D-shaped OBD connector located near the drivers position. Anyone who says a '99 doesn't have the OBD connector under the dash has no clue what they are talking about in this regard.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
slow323i,
just wondering, what's the DLC port do that you are refering to?

when i took my car to private mechanic, he hooked up scanner to DLC port, and when I took it to dealer, they hooked up to under driverside panel.
Also, another time, when I brought in the car for Dinan stage 2 upgrade, they hooked something up to DLC port.

are those two ports pretty much same thing?

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,344 Posts
slow323i,
just wondering, what's the DLC port do that you are refering to?

when i took my car to private mechanic, he hooked up scanner to DLC port, and when I took it to dealer, they hooked up to under driverside panel.
Also, another time, when I brought in the car for Dinan stage 2 upgrade, they hooked something up to DLC port.

are those two ports pretty much same thing?
The DLC port is a remnant of the OBD I days. It's a proprietary interface that BMW used before OBD II was mandated. OBD II is an open interface that is required to provide certain specific information to anyone with an OBD II scan tool. The OBD II port provides more information than the DLC port. All the information available from the DLC port is also avilable at the OBD II port, but not vice-versa.

The DLC port was eliminated beginning with January 2000 production, I'm guessing to save money since the same (and more) functions are available at the OBD II port.

For a while the only way to reflash the ECU code (like Dinan or Shark) was via the DLC port, since no one had developed a programmer at the time that worked through the OBD II port. But now the tools for programming via the OBD port are available.

Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts