BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of speakers are you running up front? please specify model #'s/sizes and such. also indicate if you made any modifications to your doors. im looking for a perfect shoe-in for my system cause im broke like that:lmao: :lmao:

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
damn, no one is running aftermarket speakers up front in thier sedan? talk about an ice forum!! sheesh!!:tsk:

·
modder fokker
6,907 Posts
boston pro 6.5 front
boston rm6 coaxal rear

changing it soon
it wil be Boston pro 6.53 front (3way)
boston pro 6.4 rear

·
Car Audio Nut
246 Posts
MB Quart

QSD 216's -- 6.5" midrange and 1" tweeter. Doors panels were not cut at all but I did cut the mounting flange on the 6.5" in 3 locations so they would clear the pieces of the door panel that hold the mounting tabs to mount the door panel. This was done so I didn't have to cut any of the door panel. I did however cut the carpet piece that covered the stock speaker because I cut a hole in the lower portion of the door so that the 6.5" could vent into the door. The opening in the carpet piece was cut bigger so it would sandwich the door panel to the door making an airtight seal to the inside of the door. You could use the stock tweeter location but I choose to modify the kick panels to hold the 1" tweeter to increase the path lenghts and keep it close to the 6.5 " increasing the overall sound greatly. The 6.5" are crossed over at 65hz and up and sound incredible. If you heard this front end you would swear I had a sub up front somewhere. The doors and door panels have had Dynamat Extreme heavily applied to them for further deadening.

Stan C.

·
Registered
76 Posts
MB Quart DSD 213 (components). The tweeters were a perfect fit, the "woofer" required a little fabrication to mount - nothing a Dremel couldn't handle. No cutting of the door panels AT ALL. Easily returned to stock (if you like crappy sound!).

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody know if 165k's will fit in the sedan without mods, i would like to mount them stealth...thanks!!:eek:

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
hey low, I think its just you and me who are looking for this info... I dont know if yours will fit & I dont think you know if mine will... ha haha this sux..

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Delirium said:
hey low, I think its just you and me who are looking for this info... I dont know if yours will fit & I dont think you know if mine will... ha haha this sux..
haha, nobody seems to know for sure! i just want to make sure i can do these stealth without modding the doors. hmm..theres gotta be someone on this board that knows for sure...:cry:

·
PSHOPWERKS
4,579 Posts
I want to change the speakers on my front doors as well. But I'm too afraid at the moment to do so. I'll let you brave souls try it out first. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
hey guys - i'm interested too. i'm thinking of getting the mbq psd's for the front, but i'm not sure if i want to spend the money yet. as a side note, i put the boston rally 6.5" up to the grill and it was even too small..

please let me know if ya'll hear anything; i'll keep looking at the posts..

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
The Boston Rally were too small? Wouldnt they fit with an adaptor ring? I dont know why it is so hard for us sedan owners to find good replacement speakers!

BTW, is it easy to drop in some 6.5's in the rear? (non hk)

·
Registered
409 Posts
the holes in the back (and front) are about 7" out, which is the issue. those boston rally (which aren't sounding too good) fit nicely into the enclosure, but i'm still trying to figure out how to mount them properly. any ring causes elevation, which then may cause the grill to touch, etc.. :-(

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am running DLS Ultimate Referance 5 1/4" components in the front doors... stock rears for now (will be changed in a couple of weeks)

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,629 Posts
That is good info. I guess im going to keep my MB Quarts 3 way separates for my BMW now ..... :D But what are you guys running for the rear???? Does anyone have pics of there door panels or setup? TIA

·
yo mama
1,612 Posts
I think Bender might have the answer for us today. He says the MBQ's psd & DSD 216's might fit without any modifications at all.. look out for his post! =)

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I put in a set of Macrom EXT 6.0. 6.5". I had to make a 5mm spacer to mount them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts