BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just talking to this guy who said the reason why some of the E46 m3 engines blew up is cuz they didnt use the BMW synthetic motor oil when they changed their oil. Is this true... cuz if it is....well....my engine will blow up soon cuz I am using Mobil 1.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
its partially true. per dealers say

·
Registered
210 Posts
Castrol 10/60 is the only oil approved for use in the M3. Mobil doesn't make an oil that heavy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If BMW tells me to use Castrol synthetic, I will, otherwise I will use Mobil one. My guess, it is a marketing/sponsorship deal with Castrol. Look at the F1 car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
m3again:

What about Mobil1's 15W50 ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree w/ these guys. I use what BMW sells in their parts dept. As for the engine issues, it was a bearing issue. Something having to do w/ then changing the spec. There were even a few valvetrain issues, but those were rare occurences.

·
Registered
873 Posts
T_Viddy said:
I was just talking to this guy who said the reason why some of the E46 m3 engines blew up is cuz they didnt use the BMW synthetic motor oil when they changed their oil. Is this true... cuz if it is....well....my engine will blow up soon cuz I am using Mobil 1.
negative:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've heard that if your engine blows and you don't have the right oil (10W60), it would void your warranty.

Anyone else hear this? :dunno:

And if this is true, would you want to chance voiding a free extended warranty that comes with your 2002 M3?

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Asmodeus said:
m3again:

What about Mobil1's 15W50 ?
Well, I guess you could argue that 50 isn't much less than 60. But BMW must think there is some worthwhile difference there.

·
Bahn Burnah
2,424 Posts
cjrivera said:
I've heard that if your engine blows and you don't have the right oil (10W60), it would void your warranty.

Anyone else hear this? :dunno:

Although it is probably not the cause, I heard about it also. I read it in an issue of Roundel, not sure what month though, I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
dbtheo said:

Although it is probably not the cause, I heard about it also. I read it in an issue of Roundel, not sure what month though, I'll see if I can find it.
Right. i'm not saying it's the cause, but it might be an excuse for BMW to NOT pay for a new engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No they cannot void your warranty based on the brand of oil you use. They cannot require you to have your car serviced exclusively by BMW in order for your warranty to be in force. Some congressional act the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Here is the link, I knew it was total bull****, but Congress has your ass covered girlfriend!

http://www.autopridegroup.com/mag-moss.html

·
Registered
210 Posts
Douge said:
No they cannot void your warranty based on the brand of oil you use. They cannot require you to have your car serviced exclusively by BMW in order for your warranty to be in force. Some congressional act the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Here is the link, I knew it was total bull****, but Congress has your ass covered girlfriend!

http://www.autopridegroup.com/mag-moss.html
Well, they can't specify a brand or they can't say you have to buy it from them, but they can have a minimum specification for the oil. Which in this case is 10/60.

Put it this way, if BMW denies a claim because they think the damage was caused by light oil, then you have to go out and hire a lawyer to fit it. Not to mention all your time/hassle. So why not just pay a little extra and buy the right oil in the first place.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Don't just get castrol 10W60 RS, RS is the old name, but not the super oil anymore. The old RS is renamed to TWS and that is what you should pour into your M3.
Nothing else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts