BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im at a dillemna, i really want to lower my front of my car, but i cant do it because mixing springs is bad... i really cant lower my rear, my system really lowered my rear end alot... i barely have any gap in the rear.. maybe like a finger or finger and half... so basically im looking for a spring set that barely lowers the rear at all but does lower the front... i have 19x 9.5 rear rims with 255 tires, and i dont want to roll my fenders... if anyone knows of any springs that barely lower the back at all please let me know... thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
You could buy H&R springs.. they lower .75" in the front and .25" in the rear.. If it's too low in the rear , you could change the kind of "hat" (Sorry can't remember the word) where the spring sits for a higher one and everything will be fine !

Mixing spring is bad but you can tune-up your suspension that way. Having stiffer spring in the front will increase understeer while having softer spring in the front will promote oversteer. In the rear, having Softer spring will increase understeer and stiffer spring oversteer.

So basically, by changing the front spring with stiffer aftermarket one, you will have much more understeer, + your wider tire.. a lot more understeer ;)

To have a more neutral set-up, you could have negative camber in the front and positive in the rear, or if you have aftermarket swaybars, set them softer in the front and stiffer in the rear.

You can play with tire pressure too ;)

Good luck

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i think if i lower the rear .25 then i dont think it will make me roll my fenders.. but i dont understand because every single picture iv seen with h and r springs the car was slammed! like all the pictures i searched were where the front and rear was really low.. i know there are two different springs that h and r makes... i always get confused with them because i have a coupe so i ahve sport suspension... so i guess i need the races? or do i need the sports? dont know which ones....

o and you were sayin something about the "hat" was is that exactly?

·
Registered
201 Posts
You have a sport suspension, so it's .75 and .25.. if you had a normal suspension, it would be 1.4 and .75. That being said.. H&R does not slam the car on the ground, it gives a racked look (Front lower than rear)

Race spring lower more than .75, so I suggest you sport springs ! :thumbup:

The hat I'm talking about is a.. kind of thing.. where the spring sits in the rear on the arm.. you know.. :p each model come with a different sized one

Sorry If you don't understand what i'm talking about, I'm french and I'm having an hard time explaining all that stuff ;)

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks for all your help i appreciate it, i think i know wat ur talkin about, its kind of like a perch that people remove to get their coilovers lower... so your sayin i can buy that littel thing but a higher one that wud raise the car a bit? that would be perfect... i dont think .25 would hurt in the rear, and .75 isnt that bad of a drop for the front because it is sitting like with 1.5 inches of wheel gap

·
Registered
201 Posts
yeah that is exactly what i'm talking about.. and as you are saying, should be okay for the front. When you will find your mtech bumper, add clubsport splitters and your car will be enough low ;)

Good luck with that project, keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think im going with full acs kit, it doesnt lower the front much so ill be cool clearence wise, i actaully want a nice drop in the front, i duno if .75 is good enuf but hey its cool cuz i really need a minimal drop in the rear

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tea

GOOD GUESTION I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM..I CaNT FIND A PLACE THAT WILL ROLL MY FENDERS!! AND I JUST WANT TO LOWER THE FRONT OF MY RIDE!!!!

·
Flex UK Style
2,565 Posts
why not go for coilovers, that way you can adjust the drop to suit your requirements whilst still running a consistant brand on all 4 corners

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
it is called a spring perch.
more importantly, you should measure not the fender height from the center of the wheels, buy take a measure from the top of the kick plate just behind the front wheel, and just in front of the rear wheel.
If you get too much rake there you could suffer real issues under braking.

the rake may look cool, but the fenders are at different heights and if it looks even, you have too much front rake.

·
Registered
201 Posts
absolutely true! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts