BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 320i is running low on oil.......what type do you guys put in your car? I know BMW recomends castrol....but which stuff??

·
frequent tire purchaser
669 Posts
Mobil 1

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great thanks guys......and I'm asuming there's no problem mixing mobile 1 with the castrol stuff that's in there?......and why do you guys use mobile 1 if the recomend castrol?

·
frequent tire purchaser
669 Posts
Here's a good write up from C-Bear that was posted quite a while back.

Yes, the "C" is for Cheney — I'm just back from Alaska where I personally drilled the first oil-well into once-protected now-exploited national reserves, and then had three heart-attacks all at once!

I know a bit about motor oils, but only from embarassing amounts of time spent researching online.

Basestocks are the essential oils taken from the ground that through refinement become our motor oils. Like many things, there are various grades and qualities for basestock. Most standard, name-brand petroleum motor oils come from Group III basestocks.

Group IV basestocks, those used by true synthetics, are comprised of polyalphaolefins, the molecules that account for synthetic oil's superior lubricity, heat-dissipating, contaminant-trapping, and longer-lasting abilities.

Group V basestocks, the best overall, are polyolesters and actually are not petroleum based, but come from corn.

Synthetic oils require (for several reasons beyond the scope of both this post and my complete understanding) the use of both polyalphaolefins and polyolesters. Mobil 1 is considered a Group IV oil because it contains primarily polyalphaolefins with some polyolesters. Red Line oil is considered a Group V because it contains primarily polyolesters with some polyalphaolefins.

Castrol Synthetic is actually a Group III petroleum oil that has been hydrocracked, meaning guys in labcoats have literally broken the molecules down into smaller components that mimic the molecular structure of synthetics and marketed them as such. Mobil actually took Castrol to court over this, claiming that Castrol was guilty of false advertising by claiming their Group III oil was a synthetic. The judge disagreed and Castrol won the suit. In Europe, however, where labeling laws appear to be more stringent, Castrol is not allowed to advertise their product as a synthetic oil. Understand that the origin of this problem is that Castrol did a bait and switch. Their synthetic oil began as a Group IV, like Mobil 1's, but once they gained the public's trust with a good product, they downgraded their basestock to a Group III without informing anyone of the change.

The big debate is whether or not BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil (which we know is a Castrol product) is identical to Castrol Synthetic. The two products actually have different API and ACEA ratings (BMW HP Synth has superior numbers), indicating that they're not the same oil and that Castrol's BMW brand is better than its shelf brand. Inexplicably, however, neither BMW N/A nor Castrol will respond to requests for clarification on this matter, which is suspicious. Add to that that Castrol is willing to market a product that's not really synthetic as a synthetic, that they originally bait-and-switched their buyers, and, frankly, I just don't want to give them my money.

Mobil 1 is only slightly more expensive, and I know that I'm getting a true synthetic and better product, which is why I choose it.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,531 Posts
Very interesting -- I've used BMW's High Performance Synthetic Oil before; perhaps it's time to change.

What about Valvoline synthetic? Anyone have any experience with this? I've used their regular oil on my other cars and was always very satisfied with it, but I dunno about synthetic on my Bimmer.

·
Registered
220 Posts
- Mobil 1 for engine
- Redline for transmission

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
Az330im said:
so the oil my dealer puts in my car is Castrol not Mobil 1? i swear I thought they used Mobil....

Nope, Castrol and BMW have a business arrangement. This is why you see that BMW uses and only recommend castrol

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you want even more info to impress the girl or guy on the bar stool next to you try www.bobtheoilguy.com. More info on synthetics and filters than you'll ever need! My motorcycle racing buddies swear by this site for their full race engines and oil analysis.

·
Registered
738 Posts
well, I think I get my oil for free.....cuz like a few days ago my oil light came on, and I went to the dealer, the guy just put more oil in without charging me....when I asked him about payment he started laughing... 0_o

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I heard Mobil 1 USE TO BE true synthetic. Didn't anyone notice, after losing their case against Castrol. They came out with the new Mobil 1 SuperSyn........no more Mobil 1 Tri-synthetic. I heard the SuperSyn stuff isn't true synthetic either, similiar to Castrol Synethetic, but heck, I still use Mobil 1.

I saw a Mobil 1 commerical a little while ago where is said engines using Mobil 1 show little or no signs of wear at 100k or 200k miles.....not bad......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts