BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I’m making an oil temp sensor since non- M’s can’t get it easily.

I’ll update y’all when it is done.

I have a 125 degree C temp probe, an arduino and an lcd unit. I’ll run the probe to the side of the oil pan, jb weld it then correlate the temps to inpa to correct for error.

Then we will know when I can rip it to 7k rpm.

I also included drive time. Since I had space on the display. Where should I put the display?

I’m thinking cig lighter console so that it can be completely hidden if need be.
IMG_3735.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
163 Posts
In for updates, I'd like to see your implementation.

For my solution, I bought a module from Germany that pulls oil temp from the oil level sensor, like in the M3s. But it's probably a lot more than what your whole setup costs, since it was ~130 Euros.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, I’m going to use INPA to gauge correct my sensor.

I didn’t want an app or some device that costs a lot. >50 bucks.

If it fails maybe I’ll buy Carly

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok, thank you!

If someone has found a way to display via mpg gauge or some other method it would be great.

Non obd preferred since I tend to kick them out on accident.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,596 Posts
I think the blue bus device could get to it.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
163 Posts
Is that really true? I knew about triple-blink, but not other features aside from audio/phone.

If the BlueBus can get to oil temp, then that would be reason enough for me to consider purchasing it. My little German device also does water temp, battery voltage, and vehicle speed, but I don't really need those.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is that really true? I knew about triple-blink, but not other features aside from audio/phone.

If the BlueBus can get to oil temp, then that would be reason enough for me to consider purchasing it. My little German device also does water temp, battery voltage, and vehicle speed, but I don't really need those.
The BlueBus is only capable of gathering the oil temperature on E38s, E39s (Non-M), and E53s. On these cars (which are all based on the E38 electronics), the LCM is also the "Check Control Module", so it is directly tied to the Oil Level / Temperature Sensor. Since the LCM is an I-Bus device, I'm able to read its I/O status and calculate the oil temperature based on a couple bytes in the upper region of the response frame.

On cars based on the E46 electronics, the IKE is the CCM, and the IKE, being the gateway device, will NOT respond to diagnostic queries on the I-Bus. Thus, I cannot gather the oil temperature or any other cool bits.

The BlueBus does grab the coolant temperature on every car, though!
-Ted

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Having stuck oil temp gauges on a lot of cars,

drill a hole in the side of your oil pan, spotface it, tap it, and
use a VDO sensor with a long nose.

The exterior of the pan is quite a bit cooler than the contents-
rather, the oil right at the edge of the pan is an insulator, and
the pan runs quite a bit cooler than the flowing oil.
But it varies by flow and airflow.

If you're just looking for a RELATIVE temp, might work, but it won't
be absolute. You'll get a correlation with the running oil temp, but
it probably won't be linear.

t
precision is the hobgoblin of those who don't want to smack their valves with their pistons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, I’ve thought about airflow and relative temp swings. I’m just going to correlate the inpa temp to the sensor to get it within a handful of degrees.

I have the ability to make all sorts of corrections within my code so I’m not too worried about that.

I don’t want to drill/tap/ since that’s not in my wheelhouse.

Electronics is though.

My other solution would have been to put a sensitive circuit on the current oil temp sensor, but I don’t want to accidentally interfere with the dme signal. It uses the oil temp for vanos commands I think.

·
Registered
10,232 Posts
I put a VDO temperature sensor drain plug in my old 1985 325e (don’t laugh). I also put a VDO oil pressure sensor + switch in the engine. Mounted the gauges in a piece of wood and installed them in the ashtray.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: correcting for temp. It’s about 15-23 low depending on oil temp. Very good for relative sense.

Ended up with a zip tie to the intake vanos sensor. It worked well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Bali!
It took a couple min to get back to a computer to wipe it out.

I just need to find a mounting point. I noticed air cools the sensor a bit but it gets close. All things considered it at least let’s you know when you are warm. And the length of drive is nice also.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C++ it’s an arduino. Very simple code. I tore apart the dash /center console but I didn’t find a good place for it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts