E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow BMW fans! First time post. Long time reader.
I have an issue with my oil service indicator on my 2006 e90. 6 months ago I had an oil change at an Indy shop (euro car and BMW specialized) and they reset the oil service indicator, but it would only reset to zero(0) miles, not the expected 15k. They tried several times following the normal cluster process and as well with their computer. No luck at all. Recently brought it to BMW dealer for oil change and reset, and they can't do it either. All other sensors and indicators reset fine, just this one. Dealer does not know what the issue is and more importantly now they are suggesting replacing oil sensor level, and then possibly the cluster and then possibly the DME, in that order...one by one to see if each may fix. Has anyone else ever had this type of issue? Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
546 Posts
How many miles does your car have? The oil life monitor that tells you how many miles you have until your next oil change is programmed BY BMW to stop working at 186000 miles (300k km). This is a completely retarded thing that BMW has done, especially combined with the no oil dipstick thing. I guess they're thinking that nobody will want to keep one of these cars that long?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of miles. 233k. Car always maintained well. Highway commute. The BMW shop it's at now does a great job and is trying hard to find a fix for it, however they are stumped as well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
There isn't a fix for it. I think what BMW NA/AG does is tell the dealer service department to code out the warning, effectively making the entire condition based service thing useless. It will just leave the miles til next oil change at 0, but it won't sound the little beep every time you start up the car, and you'll just have to remember to change your oil at whatever interval you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update. After posting here and getting the reply from "atinybug" (thanks again), did some more research for "issue resetting indicator after 186k miles". More posts popped up, and one had a PDF from a BMW dealership confirming that after 300,000 Kim's or 186,000 miles, the reset of the oil service indicator (miles allotment to next change) cannot be reset. The dealerships have been advised (if they had actually known about it) to code out the sensor making it inactive since it can't be reset or reprogrammed. They actually tried to "code out" (kill it) and couldn't. Actually glad they couldn't because if they had, the miles interval indicator would be stuck at 0. At least it will show negative mileage since last oil change. One it gets to 7500 ( my choice since high miles), I will change oil and reset the indicator again and it will reset to 0 miles and start the negative process again to next time. I am amazed that no one actually knew of the 186k limit on reset until I shared the posts with them. They tried for almost two weeks to solve the problem ( I appreciate the fact they tried. Most would have given up). Thanks again"atinybug". I think more e90 owners should be aware of this, especially if they keep their car over the 186k miles. I normally wouldn't keep mine this long either, however the car is in great shape and runs awesome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil Service Indicator Reset

Hello. there is no "FIX" for the Oil Service Indicator. according to BMWUSA, the indicator cannot be reset after 183k miles. not sure why the lifespan expectation for the oil service rest is so low as these cars can almost run forever. the only way I have managed it is to complete the normal rest steps and the indicator resets to "0" miles to next service. it will then click negative as if you are overdue for oil service. when I get to approx. -7500, I get an oil service and again reset it to "0"....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.