E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2002 330Ci engine vapor lock with oil. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the BMW fix works without modification. I was told that my PCV valve froze and caused oil to enter my intake and flood my engine. I had only driven 1/4 mile from home to a gas station and had a puff of smoke come out of the exhaust. I filled up the car and then it wouldn't start. The repair shop said that it was on a 2007 Service Bulletin? Luck was with me because it didn't happen when I was on the highway.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Man, that sucks. Have you called the dealership to see if they would cover it? It seems to me that random engine parts shouldn't just freeze and then flood your engine.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Yes this happens up in the cold north. BTW, it's a HYDRO LOCK, not a vapor lock. Essentially your cylinder is all gooped up with liquid. In severe cases, it will prevent full travel of the piston and you'll seriously damage the engine.

I haven't paid it much attention (I live in Florida, and my car is garaged, so it has seen a whole 3 days of below freezing temps in its whole life), but from what I've read, the oil separator can freeze up, like yours did, when there is high moisture content in the crankcase. The fix is to replace it with a "cold climate" engineered separator that apparently resists freezing up better. -note:not cheap labor for this little part- Hopefully the engine just flooded and didn't actually lock up..it still turned over ok, when it died? A full (bad) hydro lock will freeze the engine so it wont even crank.

Hope that is helpful to you. Might be worth a try to get BMW to cover the CCV replacement since it's in a TSB!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
yea happens to most bmw in the winter

it books for like 6-7 hour job just for the valve itself i believe and thats if the valve cover didnt blow up or anything like that

its not a ridiculously hard job just takes some time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, that sucks. Have you called the dealership to see if they would cover it? It seems to me that random engine parts shouldn't just freeze and then flood your engine.
The car is out of warranty and BMW said that they might be able to help but I am having my mechanic do the work. He found a 2007 Service Bulletin on this issue and said that some of the parts are insulated to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes this happens up in the cold north. BTW, it's a HYDRO LOCK, not a vapor lock. Essentially your cylinder is all gooped up with liquid. In severe cases, it will prevent full travel of the piston and you'll seriously damage the engine.

I haven't paid it much attention (I live in Florida, and my car is garaged, so it has seen a whole 3 days of below freezing temps in its whole life), but from what I've read, the oil separator can freeze up, like yours did, when there is high moisture content in the crankcase. The fix is to replace it with a "cold climate" engineered separator that apparently resists freezing up better. -note:not cheap labor for this little part- Hopefully the engine just flooded and didn't actually lock up..it still turned over ok, when it died? A full (bad) hydro lock will freeze the engine so it wont even crank.

Hope that is helpful to you. Might be worth a try to get BMW to cover the CCV replacement since it's in a TSB!!
Thanks for the information the engine just flooded and did not lock up. My mechanic took out the plugs and turned over the engine so I did get lucky. I also wasn't driving the car long before this happened, I was a 1/4 mile from home and at a gas station when the car wouldn't star. Thanks for the correction on the hydro lock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea happens to most bmw in the winter

it books for like 6-7 hour job just for the valve itself i believe and thats if the valve cover didnt blow up or anything like that

its not a ridiculously hard job just takes some time
My mechanic said that he has to order at least 3 different parts that are upgraded for cold weather. I don't understand why this was not a recall for the cars that are affected. I think that the dealers wait and hope that it doesn't happen until after your warranty runs out.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The real problem is moisture in the carnkcase caused by short distance driving. If the engine has time to fully warm up, the moisture is vaporized. In extremely cold weather, numerous short trips fill the oil seperator with water which freezes and clogs, pressurizing the crankcase.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Which is a shame since I have done it in 3 hours in the driveway. Make sure they replace all the ridiculously fragile hoses too. 5 of them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Im thinking the CCV and hoses are maintainance items, to be replaced every 60k. Makes a marked difference in everyday driving as well. Havent done it yet, this is just what I hear. Anyone verify that?
Never heard of the Oil Cyclone (OS/CCV) or the hoses being a regular maintenance item, only the issue with freezing of older/non modified parts. I suppose since it generally affects cars used in colder climates, it doesn't get across the board attention that say our cooling systems get. Now if the hoses are full of residue, they should be cleaned out. This definately will cause a drivability problem. Only thing is, you have to take apart quite a bit in order to get everything out. The hoses are plastic and can be fragile after many miles of heat/age, so be careful. If you're gonna mess with it, might as well get all new parts and relace everything.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Might as well link the threads since thy're on the same topic. Just did this surgery myself, put a cold climate one in. I just don't get how some foam around the new one will help. Cold will still get in there, and how on earth was the moisture getting in in the first place? From the outside? How can moisture get in through the plastic...? If from the inside, the foam won't help...

Also, not sure if a frozen CVV valve locks up - will it unlock when it thaws? Too late for me to wonder, I pulled the dam%^ thing out. If anyone knows, though, please share the insight...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9035721#post9035721

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.