BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 3rd oil report in an email today. This one is Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (GC) that is 5500 miles oil. I used this interval to provide some semblance of a comparison to my previous sample of M1 at this interval.

leftmost column is GC (5500 miles). 3rd and 4th are M1 0w-40 (5400 and 8100 miles)

One key difference in the oils is their shear rate. The Mobil 1 sheared 14.3% from its original viscosity of 14, while GC only sheared 4.7% from its original viscosity of 12.1. GC is definitely a much more stable oil.

I was surprised to see the wear higher on GC, but i have done more autox this fill, and i also have a shark injector now :woot: and have done more "spirited" driving. Those may have contributed some. Like i said, this is a loose comparison. Just comparing 2 samples doesn't really mean a whole lot, especially when the numbers are pretty close. I'd still put my money on GC performing slightly better on average with more data points to draw from though. From what i've read about it, i think it has an edge over Mobil 1.

The difference in additives is interesting too. Mobil 1 seems to use much more moly and boron, and Castrol uses more magnesium. I'm not really sure what that means but i'm sure one of the oil experts will chime in sooner or later. :p

The service indicator read 10750 at time of sample, which means it has counted down 4775 miles versus the 5500 miles i actually went, so according to the BMW interval, this oil should last even longer than 15525 miles. The Mobil 1 made it about half that far, and i suspect this will be similar, since they are both LL-01 oils.

If anyone else has any oil reports, by all means post them up.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks for the update. Your attachment didn't show up.

I'm about 3500 miles (two months) away from a report on M1 0w-40, to compare with my first report on BMW 5w-30. Will post it when I get it.

I may see if I can borrow a K&N or aFe drop-in filter for the next 7500 miles, to see if there's any material difference in the amount of silicon, as compared to two reports using the regular ol' paper filter that I've always used. (Anyone wanna loan me a K&N or aFe drop-in filter for four or five months? For the good of the community?)

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
:excited: I need to start sending samples in from my oil. I'm a little over 4k on my current oil so maybe around 5.5-6k I'll draw some out to send in.

Hopefully this thread will remain open and have some positive feedback. There needs to be a way to block certain individuals from posting in a particular thread. Otherwise, this thread has a high probability of being closed.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nice man, I'm still waiting for my kit to come in. For the section 'Elements in parts per one million' is the column 'Unit/Location averages' the column that your numbers are compared to? And should be lower?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
GC Oil = Castol Syntec?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
GC Oil = Castol Syntec?
Only if the label says "Made in Germany" and "BMW LL-01."

Not all Syntec is the same. GC = colloquialism for German Castrol.

If you are in the mild climate of TN, why the 0-30 oil? Why not 5 or 10-40 or 5-50 syntec?
Once the engine is up to operating temperature, it should be the same for all climates - assuming your thermostat is working properly, that is. In a colder climate you might consider a lower cold viscosity, but the hot viscosity shouldn't vary with climate.

More importantly, the GC 0w-30, M1 0w-40, and BMW 5w-30 are the only commonly available oils that meet BMW LL-01. The other weights you listed aren't MW LL-01, not in Syntec anyway.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ah, ok - thanks nathan. Any idea where I can get pick up GC? I doubt that's something available at my local pep boys...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Some Autozones have it, some don't. You might just have to go into the store and look at the bottle. Note that in the GC, I think only the 0w-30 weight meets LL-01, as compared to the BMW oil weight of 5w-30.

I personally haven't bothered to shop for GC, my delicate psyche couldn't bear the disappointment of not finding it. Or worse, finding that they carry it but only have five quarts in stock. I've recently switched from dealership 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40 which is pretty easy to find (but doesn't come in big jugs, only quarts).

·
Falling from 14k ft.
4,031 Posts
Some Autozones have it, some don't. You might just have to go into the store and look at the bottle. Note that in the GC, I think only the 0w-30 weight meets LL-01, as compared to the BMW oil weight of 5w-30.

I personally haven't bothered to shop for GC, my delicate psyche couldn't bear the disappointment of not finding it. Or worse, finding that they carry it but only have five quarts in stock. I've recently switched from dealership 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40 which is pretty easy to find (but doesn't come in big jugs, only quarts).
Correct. Only the 0w-30 meets LL-01. The bottle also says "European Formula" above the weight so it's not hard to find the correct one. Just for reference, here's what the bottle looks like:

·
Registered
13 Posts
fibonacci00782 i live in ny as well and have to go hunting for the oil but found that if you go to autozone.com you can punch in your area code and see if your autozone carries it, as well you can pay for it online and have it shipped to store not sure if you can get it shipped to house been a while since i looked(just know not all autozones participate in ship to store). runs about $6+ a quart, i know they sell the mobil 1 0w40 in 5q jugs not sure if they sell the GC 0w30 in 5q jugs but they do sell the 1q

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Jeffro, looks really good. Cold weather can account for some of the minor differences, but mostly it's due to the switch and it's resultant cleaning effect. The critical numbers, (visc @210, flash, TBN) are looking great. I was curious about the tin though until I realized what occured. This comes from bearing overlays, and in your case it seems to be from the stripping of the previous tribolayer (completely normal and harmless when switching oils with high detergency) the M1 laid down. The Sn measured was contained within this tribolayer, more than likely, and nothing to lose sleep over. Especially given your higher mileage. Moly is an extreme pressure/anti-wear additive. It's added in lieu of zinc these days mainly because of the EPA scare tactics on using ZDDP and zinc. Give me the zinc anyday, love those SL oils. Magnesium, boron, and phosphorus are parts of the detergent/dispersant package and are added in differing amounts between similar oils due to proprietary formulation requirements (read: cost). The higher calcium contributes to the tempering of the TBN and helps take the oil out to those long intervals without allowing the oil to acidify. I like lots of calcium too, another plus for SL. GC also has a high tech ester package. This allows Castrol to play with other AW/EP adds to control costs while providing a superior lube. Run it out to 8K like the M1 and see what you get. My money is on a slower wear metal curve, near stable visc., and a linear depletion of TBN. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice man, I'm still waiting for my kit to come in. For the section 'Elements in parts per one million' is the column 'Unit/Location averages' the column that your numbers are compared to? And should be lower?
The Unit/Location averages column is the average of all three of my samples thus far.
If you are in the mild climate of TN, why the 0-30 oil? Why not 5 or 10-40 or 5-50 syntec?
The 0w-30 is the only LL-01 approved Syntec, and the viscosity of it is nearly identical to the BMW OEM 5w-30, both of which are much thicker than Syntec 5w-30/M1 5w-30.
Thanks for posting the update. What is the approximate cost to get the oil analysis?
With a TBN measurement, it is $32.50 plus the cost of mailing it. Without TBN is $22.50. Normal mail is $1.90 i believe. This time i sent it in one of those priority or express bags or w/e for $5.05. Last time i didn't and it took the sample 2 weeks to get there :ben:
so, every 15k with oe oil...as indicated by the owner manual. ...who.da.thunk.it.
:confused: Not sure where you're getting this from.

GC Oil = Castol Syntec?
GC = Syntec 0w-30 "red label euro". made in germany and meets LL-01.

Jeffro, looks really good. Cold weather can account for some of the minor differences, but mostly it's due to the switch and it's resultant cleaning effect. The critical numbers, (visc @210, flash, TBN) are looking great. I was curious about the tin though until I realized what occured. This comes from bearing overlays, and in your case it seems to be from the stripping of the previous tribolayer (completely normal and harmless when switching oils with high detergency) the M1 laid down. The Sn measured was contained within this tribolayer, more than likely, and nothing to lose sleep over. Especially given your higher mileage. Moly is an extreme pressure/anti-wear additive. It's added in lieu of zinc these days mainly because of the EPA scare tactics on using ZDDP and zinc. Give me the zinc anyday, love those SL oils. Magnesium, boron, and phosphorus are parts of the detergent/dispersant package and are added in differing amounts between similar oils due to proprietary formulation requirements (read: cost). The higher calcium contributes to the tempering of the TBN and helps take the oil out to those long intervals without allowing the oil to acidify. I like lots of calcium too, another plus for SL. GC also has a high tech ester package. This allows Castrol to play with other AW/EP adds to control costs while providing a superior lube. Run it out to 8K like the M1 and see what you get. My money is on a slower wear metal curve, near stable visc., and a linear depletion of TBN. Good stuff.
Thanks for the input as always :)

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, for anyone looking for GC, I've seen it at every Autozone I've ever been in.

As far as i know, no Advance Auto, O'Riley, or Walmart carries it. Never been to a Pepboys or NAPA so idk about those. If you live near an Autozone you should be in luck though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts