BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have all heard about the oil pump nut backing itself out on the 330 motors, but it was always less of an issue on the B25 motors (from what Ive read). However, I just finished an engine swap in my 325 and was tearing down my 325i motor (for fun, its blown), and the pump nut was literally a few threads away from being off. I have tracked this car extensively, turning several hundred laps at least, and I just wanted to share that no car is immune to this issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PHf7U3Tewc&lc=z125vjv52zrash04304ce5bq4wjvdd2pixw0k

·
Registered
796 Posts
How many miles did your previous M54B25 have on it, if I may ask? I've rarely, if ever heard about an oil pump nut failiure on a B25 motor.. or is it just that the oil pump nut will fail either way under abusive conditions, it just fails much sooner on a B30 motor?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why are the oil pump nuts not reverse threaded like some other parts on the car so this doesn't happen?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My b25 had about 170k km on it. And the last 15k at least where hard driving by yours truly. I'm not sure if the nut needs to come completely off, but I can tell you that I'm going to install an oil pressure gauge on my new motor and watch it like a hawk on the track.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
My b25 had about 170k km on it. And the last 15k at least where hard driving by yours truly. I'm not sure if the nut needs to come completely off, but I can tell you that I'm going to install an oil pressure gauge on my new motor and watch it like a hawk on the track.

It needs to come completely off. Had you not money shifted it might have been only a matter of time.

The following caused it to be loose.

-old harmonic damper (these do need to be replaced and can cause harmonic issues)
-light weight flywheel (exasperated the problem)
-reving the car at 6.5k + for long periods of time.

Moral is dont money shift and make sure your engine is prepped properly for the track.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts