BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Owners,
I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to change the oil on my 02 330i with 5K miles. Put the car on the lift ready to open to oil pan access cover and there's no cover. Has anyone ever heard of these covers falling off on their own?

I do live in Germany and get her over 100 MPH regularly and even a few laps around the Nurburg Ring. But nothing that should cause the cover to remove itself....

Herkplt :mad:

·
OO[][]OO
525 Posts
Yah that small screw doesn't have too many treads to hold on. And if it get unsrew by it self by some vibration or from not being tied to the limit , than that small plastic can be easy be lost.
I did put on my tape near the screw, as back up .......

3C

330CiEVOSport

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
mine didnt come with one either

From ppl on the forum, some 3 series were shipped/delivered w/o them... My .02 is that the pan may have been back ordered and the theory is wait for the pans to come in or ship the car for sale... all about the $$$

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
A lot of the 02's did not come with that cover. I discovered this when I did my first oil change as well. I didn't bother getting one from my dealer, partly because it doesn't serve much of a purpose other than covering the oil plug access.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Access Cover

My 325 '02 wasn't delivered with the cover either. I had the dealer order a replacement and install it. I guess it provides some wind drag reduction, and it keeps the drain plug area clean.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My '02 did not have one either. I asked the dealer about this and he said that some do and some don't have one. That's consistent:huh:
I change my oil with an oil extractor so I never need to get to the drain plug. If you do it from below it will be easier without having to remove the plate every time. I think I'm going to order one because of what ' rshaw11' said about better airflow under the car. Sounds reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts