BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I just did the VCG on my 2004. Not a hard job at all. Takes less than 2 hours. Invest in a good small-handled torque wrench that easily adjusts to 7lbs., which is as tight as you want on the VC bolts. Make sure your gasket set includes the Spark Plug seals and the 15 rubber seals. I went with Reinz after reading several reviews.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,531 Posts
FWIW, we find (so do most independent BMW/German car shops) the Reinz gaskets have the highest failure rate.
YMMV and hopefully so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I for one am not going to sweat the gasket brand issue...I've already got 200 k on the car. I figure I get my monies worth by time the change is needed. then the next guy can learn like Ive done. All is well...still.
Cheers...

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So since im below 100k miles I'll go for the OEM ones..I'm planning to keep her for as long as i can..

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,188 Posts
Fwiw, I got about 70k miles on an Elring valve cover gasket set (although I would smell burning oil intermittently on long drives after about 50k miles).

Recently changed it again and went with genuine BMW vcg the second time because it wasn't that expensive actually, maybe $20 or $30 more online (around $55 or so). Also, I had an extra unused elring bolt washer oring that I compared to the genuine ones, and the genuine ones were just a little bit thicker, seemed better made and fit a little better in some of the tight spots of the valve cover. The main gasket also fit nice and snug in the valve cover groove.

I would say genuine is worth an extra $20 or $30 at least, but not sure I would pay the over $100 that the dealer around here wanted (matrix pricing).

Either way, make sure you do all the washer orings plus the center spark plug gaskets as well.

Also, when removing the valve cover, make sure to lift upward ... which isn't easy because it can be stuck on there tight. Resist urge to push it sideways.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
FWIW, we find (so do most independent BMW/German car shops) the Reinz gaskets have the highest failure rate.YMMV and hopefully so.
I have two Cabriolets and if drove them a combined 2000 miles annually, I'd be surprised. I doubt that Reinz VCG is going to fail in the time I will own the car but if I do have to do this repair again (on either car) I'll just pay more for the OEM set.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
So funnily when driving to work today I hit something small on the autobahn which fell out of the car in front of me, since I was at 120mph couldn't react soon enough to avoid it completely so hit the underside of the driverside, I took the hit rather than crash in to the truck in the next lane..

Scared and depressed I reached work and checked but didn't find anything broken, not yet, now I'm worried something might have fallen out of my car? Shit...

What I also realised is that the burnt smell was not there today. So opened up the hood and saw no new leaks except the one oil spot on the O2 sensor and these droplets like on the pictures...

What the hell is going on with my car ..

Any one has any inputs.. these lines look like they are sweating what lines are these anyway?
I didn't touch cause I didn't want to risk a burn.. Will check during lunchtime again..

Cheers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I can only answer the later half of your question.
The condensation is normal. It's the A/C line. Specifically the low (larger pipe, for increased flow of liquid refrigerant) side sweating with delivery of cold R134A to the inside of the car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I can only answer the later half of your question.
The condensation is normal. It's the A/C line. Specifically the low (larger pipe, for increased flow of liquid refrigerant) side sweating with delivery of cold R134A to the inside of the car.
Offf.. that eases my worries a little

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,188 Posts
So funnily when driving to work today I hit something small on the autobahn which fell out of the car in front of me, since I was at 120mph couldn't react soon enough to avoid it completely so hit the underside of the driverside, I took the hit rather than crash in to the truck in the next lane..
Yikes ... this makes me want to reinstall the front plastic underbody tray ... might not do much (at high speeds) but at least it would take the first hit.

What I also realised is that the burnt smell was not there today. So opened up the hood and saw no new leaks except the one oil spot on the O2 sensor and these droplets like on the pictures...

What the hell is going on with my car ..
Fwiw, when the vcg was going bad at first the oil smell was intermittent, only on long drives after car had been warmed up a long time. By the time I finally replaced it, I would smell burnt oil on short drives and much more frequently.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So if its the VCG, how long can I drive it without causing any damage??

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've seen them leak for a long time as customers ignore them.
The only risk is if it gets severe, there is an oil fire risk.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mate? Explain....Ex Pat in Der Fatherland?
If so you should be in Benidorm or Nerja.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Mate? Explain....Ex Pat in Der Fatherland?
If so you should be in Benidorm or Nerja.
No no... moved here to study automotive engineering, met a nice girl fell in love and settled down here....
You know how things go..

I live in a small city in Germany on the border of Germany Belgium and Netherlands..

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I do, damn near did the same with a Senorita in 1983......

Back on point here... If/when you get a job with one of the manufacturers, reintroduce them to a policy they had decades ago. All of the powertrain engineers had to work inside the national workshop for 1/2 a day for 6 months. They had to diagnose & fix cars!
All of a sudden (a short time later, are you listening Hani?) test plans got better, spark plugs and other things were easier to access/replace etc.
Shame the initiative disappeared.:mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I do, damn near did the same with a Senorita in 1983......

Back on point here... If/when you get a job with one of the manufacturers, reintroduce them to a policy they had decades ago. All of the powertrain engineers had to work inside the national workshop for 1/2 a day for 6 months. They had to diagnose & fix cars!
All of a sudden (a short time later, are you listening Hani?) test plans got better, spark plugs and other things were easier to access/replace etc.
Shame the initiative disappeared.:mad:
I very well known what you mean..
Sometimes i do curse the extremely smart engineer who designed it so well making it extremely difficult for everyone else..

Some engineers are total idiots, I'm allowed to say that cos I'm an engineer

21 - 38 of 38 Posts