BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo everyone,
Since a few weeks i smell a burnt smell coming through the vents after driving for 20 minutes. I also noticed coolant drops in my garage, so I did a coolant system overall and thought I was good.馃槄
The burning smell didn't go away, I thought it might be the leftover coolant.
I checked my oil levels yesterday and saw that it was just a hair above min so I filled in half a liter and was good to go.
After reaching back home and checking for oil levels again I saw this, oil on the o2 sensor.

What is causing it? VCG? SENSOR ?
I need some help.

I recently did my cooling system overhaul2 weeks ago hope I can push this repair till next month.

Cheers guys, thanks in advance for your help.

SM

Registered
Hallo everyone,
Since a few weeks i smell a burnt smell coming through the vents after driving for 20 minutes. I also noticed coolant drops in my garage, so I did a coolant system overall and thought I was good.
The burning smell didn't go away, I thought it might be the leftover coolant.
I checked my oil levels yesterday and saw that it was just a hair above min so I filled in half a liter and was good to go.
After reaching back home and checking for oil levels again I saw this, oil on the o2 sensor.

What is causing it? VCG? SENSOR ?
I need some help.

I recently did my cooling system overhaul2 weeks ago hope I can push this repair till next month.

Cheers guys, thanks in advance for your help.

SM View attachment 907084
Probably VCG if there's oil in that area, start recording a video with your phone with flash on and stick it down the side of the engine pointing at the edge of the valve cover, should be able to see on the video then if it is weeping oil

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, what i wonder is why is the sensor only wet on the top half, and the wire is kinda stripped, but the other is not!
Here is a pic of the bank 1 sensor

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Registered
Op: this very area is known for leaking of the vcg. Have you replaced this gasket recently or ever? Not a difficult job... the only concern mostly is laying the new gasket in place correctly, especially in that very area that's leaking on your engine.
Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Op: this very area is known for leaking of the vcg. Have you replaced this gasket recently or ever? Not a difficult job... the only concern mostly is laying the new gasket in place correctly, especially in that very area that's leaking on your engine.
Cheers!

Think its never been replaced

Registered
How do i confirm that its not the cover itself that's cracked? Like Scott aka BaliDawg hinted on.

I know of no way...other inspecting when the cover is removed. Seeing the cracks can be "small" and tight when the engine is cold...but when the engine beats up of course the crack tends to expand!

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Gracia
Any suggestions on any brand for the gasket?? What material? I heard there are two types of material!

Registered
Ok. Gracia
Any suggestions on any brand for the gasket?? What material? I heard there are two types of material!

Most fokes will answer oem...when I did the change I looked for "Reinz" but that's not the very best which is said to be...now I've got to search...Elring is said to be the best.

Registered

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
Buy a genuine from the dealership. It will last as long as the first one.

Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
Just to reinforce a point for those that will look at this post in the future.

I read countless threads where folks buy a Rein, Victor Reinz, or Elring V.C. gasket.
I just did the math. A genuine one from the dealer lists at: $ 64.21 Genuine from FCP Euro is: $ 49.63
The Elring & Corteco are: $ 22.50 & $ 16.99 respectively.

Worst case at least here in the USA, (Dealer VS: Aftermarket @ FCP) on list not Matrix pricing is a savings of: $ 47.22

If a Genuine gasket goes 1/3rd. the life of the car (200K miles~) is saving $47 really worth the hassle of not buying genuine?

If we're talking about a part that is hundreds of dollars, I get it. But $47?????
You know how many VC gaskets we do in a year.... More than I care to think about. What do I buy? Genuine from the dealer. The extra $ 47 in profit is NOT worth the 2-3 hours of labor to do it again. And that's on an easy car. Newer cars need a complete valve cover, because they warp and a new gasket only kicks the can down the road for about 6 months. Those take 5 hours to replace. Same thing, I buy genuine from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts