BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has finally happened. My oil light is on. :( Its the priority 2 one that goes on when I turn the car off but that sucks. I guess she is drinking oil even though I gave her the best break in period.... I was so restrained. Any chicken soup for my soul before I buy the oil from my dealer?

AdamR

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,174 Posts
It's common for our cars to consume oil...especially during the break in period. My car drank over a quart in the first 1000 miles. Just get some Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec and top it off yourself.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get the Castrol TWS Motorsport 10w-60 besides from the dealer? Also, do you think I should replace my filter while I am at it?

AdamR

·
Registered
703 Posts
digitalgm said:
Well, it has finally happened. My oil light is on. :( Its the priority 2 one that goes on when I turn the car off but that sucks. I guess she is drinking oil even though I gave her the best break in period.... I was so restrained. Any chicken soup for my soul before I buy the oil from my dealer?

AdamR
My light came on around 5k too. dont worry. just add a 1/2 quart then check it after running to for 5 mins. You'll be ok.

:thumbup:

See ya

John V

·
needs a new sig...
4,890 Posts
guys..i dont know abut you but i change my oil and filter every 5000 miles no matter what the computer says..i saw recently an oil filter in a 325i breaking up after the first 15000 scehduled change..i do it every 5000 miles now... i think if you are owning the car then you all should do the same too...if its a lease then w/e

·
Registered
647 Posts
Why dont you just go ahead and change the oil and filter now anyway? Only place to get it is the dealer.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vinny : autozone does not have the oil. I did check there. Also, according to Jason, the dealer is the only place that you can get it.

AdamR

·
Registered
25 Posts
Crevier BMW in Santa Ana, CA did not top it off for free, I had to buy the oil at the parts dept. and the service dude topped it off for me (that part was free).

·
Registered
248 Posts
You buy a M3 from your dealer and they won't top off your oil? Tell them to top it off or you'll buy your next M3 somewhere else. Don't be such a meeeoowww.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Woah woah woah ... lets not get into name calling. The point of fact is that the dealer is not required to fix anything that is considered normal wear and tear. Should I go in there and ask them to change my gas cause I ran out? I mean that is an awesome dealer if they do that but I wouldnt push it.

AdamR

Artslinger said:
You buy a M3 from your dealer and they won't top off your oil? Tell them to top it off or you'll buy your next M3 somewhere else. Don't be such a meeeoowww.

·
Registered
248 Posts
digitalgm said:
Woah woah woah ... lets not get into name calling. The point of fact is that the dealer is not required to fix anything that is considered normal wear and tear. Should I go in there and ask them to change my gas cause I ran out? I mean that is an awesome dealer if they do that but I wouldnt push it.

AdamR

Gas and oil are not the same thing when it comes to maintenance.

Have you actually asked them to top the oil? You just bought a 40-50,000 car and the dealer will not put 4 bucks of oil in your car without charging you? You need to find a new dealer I wouldn't put up with that crap.

BMW does free oil changes at the recommended intervals why would they not top the oil?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts