E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a 00 323ci off a friend of mine.. it's been a great car for the 2 weeks i've had it but i'm concerned that he only changed his oil every 15k miles.. i was recently looking under the hood changing my light bulbs when i saw what looks like dried oil covering the are with a cap labeled "ATF oil only".. i can take a picture of it but it looks like it's been there for a while.. is this something i should be concerned about? i'm planning on taking the car for an oil change this weekend since it's been 14k miles since the last one.. thanks..

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Its normal that many people didnt change their oil at the "recomended" 15k....
Dont worry about it... I doubt its leaking oil.... check on the floor where you are parking if there is any oil there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same symptom here...

I have been very good with my engine oil changes (every ~7500mi) and I have something that looks like oil leaking in exactly the same spot. I do not believe that this has anything to do with oil changes and I am very curious to find out why this is happening. This started fairly early with my car but was not horribly noticable till now.

Anyone else have this?

Anyone ask their dealer/service folks about it?

What takes ATF fluid that isn't an automatic transmission 'cause I don't have a slushie?

Take care,

chiroppa said:
i just purchased a 00 323ci off a friend of mine.. it's been a great car for the 2 weeks i've had it but i'm concerned that he only changed his oil every 15k miles.. i was recently looking under the hood changing my light bulbs when i saw what looks like dried oil covering the are with a cap labeled "ATF oil only".. i can take a picture of it but it looks like it's been there for a while.. is this something i should be concerned about? i'm planning on taking the car for an oil change this weekend since it's been 14k miles since the last one.. thanks..

·
Registered
645 Posts
That is your power steering fluid and it is normal for a small amount to collect on the cap. There is a vent in the cap that allows pressure to escape and with it very small amounts of fluid. I noticed it on my 04 almost since it was new. Not to worry.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.. actually, the oil isn't only on the cap, it looks like it has spilled over whole container on the outside.. again.. it looks dried up like it's been there for a while.. also, my steering is very stiff on the car.. i was assuming it was just the way all bmw's were but now i'm wondering if the oil is somehow related to it..

·
Registered
140 Posts
stiff...i wish

Tell me how much fluid i need to drain out to make it stiff ;)

I miss the utter lack of power steering...

chiroppa said:
thanks for the replies.. actually, the oil isn't only on the cap, it looks like it has spilled over whole container on the outside.. again.. it looks dried up like it's been there for a while.. also, my steering is very stiff on the car.. i was assuming it was just the way all bmw's were but now i'm wondering if the oil is somehow related to it..

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
chiroppa said:
bmw steering is pretty stiff compared to other cars. They lightened it up in 2001, but everyone started to complain. So they made it stiff again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.