E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 00 323! Sport package.

Recently my Bimmer has a lil oil leak somewhere under the car. Should I continue driving it the way it is or should I have them fix it. My friend, which is a mechanic check it out and mention that it isnt too bad.

But should I get it fix anyway? I need some advice and suggestions. Many thxz..

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Could be alot of different things. Oil filter housing gasket, rear main seal, valve cover gasket, etc..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definately not from the head gasket or oil filter housing gasket and it not from the oil drainer either. But Im not very sure about the rear main seal. I dont even kno where that is. Lol.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Depending on where and how bad and how expensive... yes or no. No sure fire answer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I guess. Expensive or not, either way I have to take of it rather then driving on an empty without noticing it. But do u guys know what the average price is?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes there is a sure fire answer. If you have a leak, fix it. It will not get better on its own, but you can bet your ass that it will get worse. Nothing worse than having it let go when you are too far away from home to walk.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Yea I guess. Expensive or not, either way I have to take of it rather then driving on an empty without noticing it. But do u guys know what the average price is?
fix it. first clean the area where the oil leak is with parts cleaner real good. drive a few miles then check to see where it is leaking. come back in this thread and tell us where it is leaking from. (driverside/passenger etc.) Oil filer housing gasket is about $350-$600 at indy/dealer, VCG around $150. could be the oil pan gasket?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell Yeaa definately will fix it.

Cleaning is a start, but unscrewing that damn dust plate protector thing is a pain in the rear. But yea I will clean it n drive it. N see whats going on. Cant be oil pan gasket either.. Its actually drip on the tranny too.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,762 Posts
It could be PS fluid also...it could be oil and ps fluid and it could be coming from many spots...

Many of the leaks you can live with without issue...but you need to monitor them closely enough to know if one is getting worse or not. I lived with 3 drips a night for months.

Oil filter cap 0-ring misplaced or doubled up...or just flattened out and never replaced.

Oil filter housing gasket

CCV

Vanos oil line

VCG

PS hoses

Many fluids will drip on underskirt...if you clean that up it might also help in diagnosing source...and honestly, if getting the 6 screws undone is a pain, then you aren't going to like actually diying stuff!

The ofhg, for instance, maybe is 2 hours with some skill...maybe 4 hours first time...about the same as the ccv.

You don't have to fix most of these just coz they're dripping...you have to know their rate of loss and keep fluids filled up. Dripping a little oil or PS fluid isn't a huge problem...but you do want to know their sources before you decide that they couldn't become an issue.

Clean and check everything...but don't go crazy rinsing off engine with a hose...you ought to be able to spray an engine degreaser underneath when underskirt is removed, and after sitting a while, just rinse off, also from underneath, with a gentle spritz from hose from different angles...then drive and see where drips start from.

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn thank doug!!

That is a lots of information u gave me. I guess I have to fine out
When spray all those greese down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts