E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
realoem

I checked this weekend and found I have an oil leak which appear to be coming from the below location. Anyone know what part that is? I have an 04 330xi. Can't seem to find it in real oem...

Thanks
That is the VANOS oil line. I replaced mine when I did my OFGH. It is prone to leak at some point. Make sure you get the 4 crush washers that go with it.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Also, when tightening it, you need to keep the alignment as close as you can get to original.

On the top, stick a screwdriver in to stabilize it so it doesn't turn into the engine...should be parallel with side of engine. I've heard and believe that the crimps really don't take to torquing.

BTW, if you're leaking from the crimps, the hose is gone, but if from the banjo bolts at the end, a tightening and/or new crush washers might do the trick. Also, so you know, it's a strong hose, so don't worry about it popping apart or anything...it'll keep until you replace it.

Oh, finally, make sure you're just not noticing PS fluid dripping on it...the larger PS hose on the reservoir has a mesh covering which seems to carry PS fluid back a bit and then it drips off. Inspection mirror and flashlight will show whether you have these hoses seeping...trim off a little bit of hose...new hose clamps and you should be good. If PS fluid isn't pink, though, change it...either turkey baster or just drain from the pump...where you'll want another hose clamp on too probably.

GL...hth

·
Registered
244 Posts
Almost positive his OFHG is leaking too... I was hoping it was a VANOS line in my case, but shining a flashlight behind the OFH showed the telltale Valdez of oil all over the block. After cleaning everything up with several dollar store brushes of various types and degreaser, I was able to isolate it to just the OFHG and replaced it. :) I was able to reuse all of the crush washers by annealing them with a propane torch and smearing a very light coating of gasket maker on them before assembly. No leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.