BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tightening my headers and removing my SAP this morning and while my hand was down there against the block I noticed a little tiny bit of oil on my finger.

I am not sure if its the head gasket or the vanos gasket. If it is the vanos gasket should I do the vanos repair kit while I already have it tore apart?

My oil filter housing gasket is leaking also and I have money at the moment so I am trying to get all the parts I need to fix it all in one weekend.

The shop said also oil pan gasket might be leaking.

And most of these parts are reasonably priced so I am trying to get all of them.

Just want to see what you guys think. I know many of you on here have probably replaced the parts that I have mentioned.

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
I was tightening my headers and removing my SAP this morning and while my hand was down there against the block I noticed a little tiny bit of oil on my finger.

I am not sure if its the head gasket or the vanos gasket. If it is the vanos gasket should I do the vanos repair kit while I already have it tore apart?

My oil filter housing gasket is leaking also and I have money at the moment so I am trying to get all the parts I need to fix it all in one weekend.

The shop said also oil pan gasket might be leaking.

And most of these parts are reasonably priced so I am trying to get all of them.

Just want to see what you guys think. I know many of you on here have probably replaced the parts that I have mentioned.
Not sure where exactly you were, but VCG is most likely source of oil leak on exhaust side.

If everything is apart and you haven't done CCV yet, this might be a good time too...but since you removed SAP, I have a feeling you'll just remove CCV too...maybe not!

If VCG, then vanos seals/gasket

Too late for you to confirm oil pan, but I hear it's a pretty good gasket, though if auto, it's a good time to replace fluid and filter.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could not see where the oil was coming from it was so little when I ran my finger under it I could not find where it was coming from.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure where exactly you were, but VCG is most likely source of oil leak on exhaust side.

If everything is apart and you haven't done CCV yet, this might be a good time too...but since you removed CCV, I have a feeling you'll just remove CCV too...maybe not!

If VCG, then vanos seals/gasket

Too late for you to confirm oil pan, but I hear it's a pretty good gasket, though if auto, it's a good time to replace fluid and filter.
I did not remove CCV yet I was wanting to but did not get it it today. Kinda confused on what you are talking about with CCV?

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
I could not see where the oil was coming from it was so little when I ran my finger under it I could not find where it was coming from.
Photo of location of drip?

You know, you can live with a lot of drips...just not such a great idea when it's dripping on the exhaust mani heat shield!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo of location of drip?

You know, you can live with a lot of drips...just not such a great idea when it's dripping on the exhaust mani heat shield!
The whole problem I was running into is that I saw no oil at all stuck my head pretty close and could not see anything and after I ran my finger underneath and there was oil on my finger it was gone and no more was there so I am guessing it is a very very very small leak.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Valve cover gasket is the only thing that can leak where you described.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What?

Valve cover, not head gasket. VCG can't be more than $50-75 iirc, maybe a tad more with the 15 grommets you need.

Do vanos seals, or consider it...that is the time.
Yeah I thought you wrote head gasket for some reason. VCG was not that much and the Dr. Vanos kit is about the same.

How long does it usually take to do these two things? And can you install with basic hand tools?

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
Yeah I thought you wrote head gasket for some reason. VCG was not that much and the Dr. Vanos kit is about the same.

How long does it usually take to do these two things? And can you install with basic hand tools?
When I did it a long time ago (maybe 1.5 years?) it probably took me about 5-6 hours, but I get easily distracted by dirt, so cleaning took at least half the time...that, and figuring things out.

Maybe 3-4 hours for a reasonably competent diyer...2 hours maybe the second time?

Oh, if you do Dr. Vanos and not just do the seals, it will save you about 1/2 hour. Beisan seals might sound frightening to do, but it was actually pretty easy. You're right there, you know, just 4 rings and one gasket away when doing the VCG.

(BTW, I'll fix typo above...I meant to say that if you deleted SAP, I thought you'd probably just delete the CCV also...not that I think doing either is a good idea--this is the world we're stuck on and it'd be nice to have trees around for our great grandchildren!)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did it a long time ago (maybe 1.5 years?) it probably took me about 5-6 hours, but I get easily distracted by dirt, so cleaning took at least half the time...that, and figuring things out.

Maybe 3-4 hours for a reasonably competent diyer...2 hours maybe the second time?

Oh, if you do Dr. Vanos and not just do the seals, it will save you about 1/2 hour. Beisan seals might sound frightening to do, but it was actually pretty easy. You're right there, you know, just 4 rings and one gasket away when doing the VCG.

(BTW, I'll fix typo above...I meant to say that if you deleted SAP, I thought you'd probably just delete the CCV also...not that I think doing either is a good idea--this is the world we're stuck on and it'd be nice to have trees around for our great grandchildren!)
Well the SAP I really dont like. I am not a big fan of emissions anyway. That is just my personal preference and sense there are no emissions testing in my area I said why not. I fill like my car runs alot better when it gone.

So DR. Vanos and Besian Seals and I should prabably have at least a day free.

Now tools can this be done with just regular hand tools? Or do I need some special tools?

Thanks

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
Well the SAP I really dont like. I am not a big fan of emissions anyway. That is just my personal preference and sense there are no emissions testing in my area I said why not. I fill like my car runs alot better when it gone.

So DR. Vanos and Besian Seals and I should prabably have at least a day free.

Now tools can this be done with just regular hand tools? Or do I need some special tools?

Thanks
No, Dr. Vanos OR Besian seals, not both.

If you have hex/torx/and sockets, you should be good to go...assuming you have a torque wrench, or can dial in the force accurately with your hands...very little on the vcg, like 10 ft-lbs (that's not the torque, that 'about' the torque...check that!)

I'm not remembering anything special...think Beisan diy is pretty complete, it might list tools needed.

Just remember the two counter-rotating bolts on vanos pistons. Don't forget!

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I will be getting these as soon as I get paid next
What about me? What do I get? Thanks? Just thanks?

No Marissa picture; coupon for a black and tan?

What's the deal here guys? I thought everyone understood my motivations for being here?

BTW, it's time for another Furrie to come out already. Every fn one of you has a beagle, I know it...or dachshound (which is even grosser!). Just have out with it (no pics, Albeee...Drew! :lmao:).

You'll feel better...and your dog can begin the healing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about me? What do I get? Thanks? Just thanks?

No Marissa picture; coupon for a black and tan?

What's the deal here guys? I thought everyone understood my motivations for being here?

BTW, it's time for another Furrie to come out already. Every fn one of you has a beagle, I know it...or dachshound (which is even grosser!). Just have out with it (no pics, Albeee...Drew! :lmao:).

You'll feel better...and your dog can begin the healing.
Idk what you want but thanks for helping

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
26,264 Posts
Idk what you want but thanks for helping

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App
I thought I was pretty clear.

If you have no complicity with the dog thing no one but me seems bothered by, that's fine.

What about the rest...the Marissa at least? Pic, Marissa, flattering attractive pose...it's my fee and pretty much everyone here knows that.

That, or I'd take a car or beige leather heated sport seats. Not too complicated!

Welcome to fanatics. I'm pretty bad. Most here are really nice...most also like dogs an awful lot...you should know stuff like this before you get in too deep.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts