E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, possibly stupid question. I noticed I had a leak in my 2003 330i so I put some UV dye in and let the car run for about ten minutes. I had a UV light under the car and saw it dripping so I took off the air box and move the power steering pump aside to see if I could find where it was exactly coming from. It's the green fluid in the center of the pictures which looks to be coolant but I'm pretty sure it's just the UV dye. Looking online it seems as though it'd be an OFHG issue, but I replaced it about two months ago and haven't driven the car much since. Any help is appreciated.
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Gas
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle door Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What color is the coolant that's in your car right now?
If the coolant pipes under the intake manifold that go to the heater hoses leak there's a good chance that it'd pool there.
the coolant im using is green. that would make a lot more sense than whatever i was thinking haha. are they a difficult fix?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts
the coolant im using is green. that would make a lot more sense than whatever i was thinking haha. are they a difficult fix?
A little, in that the intake has to be removed in order to get at them and then the ends of the tubes end up broken off in the passages when the tubes are removed. Carefully remove the remainder so that you don't nick the aluminum socket and create a leak point.

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
Coolant pipes are not a difficult replacement, just tedious and takes a long time.

Make sure you use genuine BMW cooling pipes and clean out the bores well....I just had to replace the lower pipe a year after installing an aftermarket coolant pipe to save a few $$

Before reinstalling the intake I hook up all cooling system parts, fill with distilled water, install a gutted thermostat housing (t-stat removed) and pressurize to 20 psi with a fitting screwed into bleed screw. This is how I test cooling pipes...saved me a couple of time.

Once you have the intake off you will see how well your OFHG is holding up.

With the intake off check for deteriorated rubber caps and vac lines, and maybe change your CCV if old or age unknown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little, in that the intake has to be removed in order to get at them and then the ends of the tubes end up broken off in the passages when the tubes are removed. Carefully remove the remainder so that you don't nick the aluminum socket and create a leak point.
alright so i got took some time and got the oil dipstick tube off, and the oil that was in there is definitely the same color as the one in the picture. im already gonna replace the ccv system anyways but are there any other oil leak culprits from that area?

·
Registered
701 Posts
alright so i got took some time and got the oil dipstick tube off, and the oil that was in there is definitely the same color as the one in the picture. im already gonna replace the ccv system anyways but are there any other oil leak culprits from that area?
Are you dealing with oil or water which is it?

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
518 Posts
and those are the only possible reasons oil could be pooling at the waffle weave thing?
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. The green liquid that you're seeing in the waffle section is most likely engine coolant leaking out of your hard coolant pipes. These are #6 and #8 in the diagram below.

Font Auto part Engineering Drawing Line art

The discussion so far includes some recommendations for additional maintenance work that you might want to do while you replace the hard coolant hoses (#6 and #8) because in order to get to these hoses, you have to remove a bunch of stuff. Therefore it's a good idea to tackle some of these other maintenance items.

Please make sure you don't confuse engine coolant (green in your case because you have green coolant in your engine) and oil. (Yes, you did put dye into your oil, but from the pictures, it's very likely what you're seeing is engine coolant.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

[Edited]
If you're absolutely sure that it's oil in the waffle section is oil and not coolant, then I take back what I said above. If you can get a sample of the green liquid in the waffle section, then it would be easy to check whether it's coolant or oil. They smell different and feel different when rubbed between your fingers.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts
It should be pretty easy to identify where that much oil would be coming from, it should be flowing like a stream!

That said, it would be very uncommon for there to be that large an oil leak at that location, but if there is OP is in a much better position to find it than we are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ty easy to ident
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing. The green liquid that you're seeing in the waffle section is most likely engine coolant leaking out of your hard coolant pipes. These are #6 and #8 in the diagram below.

View attachment 937170

The discussion so far includes some recommendations for additional maintenance work that you might want to do while you replace the hard coolant hoses (#6 and #8) because in order to get to these hoses, you have to remove a bunch of stuff. Therefore it's a good idea to tackle some of these other maintenance items.

Please make sure you don't confuse engine coolant (green in your case because you have green coolant in your engine) and oil. (Yes, you did put dye into your oil, but from the pictures, it's very likely what you're seeing is engine coolant.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

[Edited]
If you're absolutely sure that it's oil in the waffle section is oil and not coolant, then I take back what I said above. If you can get a sample of the green liquid in the waffle section, then it would be easy to check whether it's coolant or oil. They smell different and feel different when rubbed between your fingers.
I'll definitely be doing the additional maintenance, I checked out Archbid's comprehensive lists. After getting the intake off it seems as though everything is dry? The hoses #6 and #8 don't have any noticeable leakage and I don't see anything coming out of the OFHG, so I'm really at a loss. After smelling the liquid in the waffle section it didn't smell sweet at all so that leaves oil as the other option.. Anything you can see that I'm missing from the images? (im pretty sure the brown liquid is the fuel that came out of the fuel line after removal)
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Coil Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bicycle part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
518 Posts
You need to determine whether this is oil or coolant. We can't do that for you. Rub the liquid between your fingers. Is it slippery like motor oil or not?

The symptoms of the hard coolant pipes leaking is from the connection of these two pipes into the engine block. Note these are pipes and not hoses so they don't fail like hoses. One thing you can do is to rent a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone and after pressurizing your cooling system, see if you get additional leaking. Look under the car, do you see dried white coolant residue like maybe on the oil pan? As a side note, the blue zip tie is indicative of these coolant pipes being original from the factory. That's 18 years old for your car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You need to determine whether this is oil or coolant. We can't do that for you. Rub the liquid between your fingers. Is it slippery like motor oil or not?

The symptoms of the hard coolant pipes leaking is from the connection of these two pipes into the engine block. Note these are pipes and not hoses so they don't fail like hoses. One thing you can do is to rent a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone and after pressurizing your cooling system, see if you get additional leaking. Look under the car, do you see dried white coolant residue like maybe on the oil pan? As a side note, the blue zip tie is indicative of these coolant pipes being original from the factory. That's 18 years old for your car.

Good luck.
It's oil, checked under the UV light and matched it up with oil in the dipstick tube :). Secondly, as it's totally dry everywhere else I've determined that the leak is coming from the bottom seal on the vanos oil line, which I'll be promptly replacing! i'll let you know, thanks again for the help!

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts
That seemed the most likely source to me.

When mine leaked it was the hose itself that was failing at the upper fitting, it just seeped. I replaced the hose and the crush washers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts