BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to remove the engine splash guard after seeing it wet. When i removed the splash guard, it was half drenched in oil in the rear of it. Cleaned the area with brake parts cleaner and drove for 30 minutes, these are the attached pics of what i have after driving. Please help me identify source of leak

PS there was a lot of oil in the subframe but i thought it could have been from previous messy oil changes but i could be wrong, i hope its not the oil pan

Attachments

·
Registered
26,262 Posts
...and that's what I was thinking too.

Odds are that the ccv might be spewing out something too if ofh gasket is gone...anyway, OP, check behind the ofh about 8-12" toward rear of car with inspection mirror and good light. If oil is back there too, could be ccv, but I think if it is ccv, it's still the ofh also.

Finally, doublecheck under the PS reservoir...those hoses leak...use new clamps.

Also, when doing ofh gasket, get a new vanos oil line and four crush washers for it...simple to change with ofh g

HTH

Doug

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue couple of months back. I brought it BMW -_-_lership and they keep telling me there's no leak. So after bringing it to them twice and keep getting the same answer I brought it to a locally own shop. They've found an oil leak under the oil filter housing and my power steering hose was leaking also. Glad some of it was taken care off by my extended insurance coverage.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so the oil filter housing gasket could be leaking even if my oil dipstick shows sufficient amount of oil between the two lines right?

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Steam clean the engein install some UV dye in the oil run it for 10-15 min the use a black light and find and repar the leak at the highest point to start

·
Registered
26,262 Posts
so the oil filter housing gasket could be leaking even if my oil dipstick shows sufficient amount of oil between the two lines right?
Mine was prolly leaking a year from both ofh and ccv...just a drip or two every night on the ground...a little more on the underskirt...and more yet, dried up on engine...but my level of oil hardly noticed it...so mostly a nuisance I think...that, and I don't think the hoses like oil on them either!

Anyway, you'll be able to tell if there's oil with inspection mirror under the ofh or the ccv...and if it's high up under either or both...well, there you go!

Doug

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aite, from everyones input it looks like a legit ofh leak, so i will start removing the airbox and everything else this week. thanks everyone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts