BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please don't tell me to search, I have, extensively. I have it pretty much narrowed down to these two choices. It seems like the Pentosin MTF-2 is OEM, but quite a few recommend the mix of Redline products. Has anyone done additional research on this or have thoughts on one or the other? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Recently did a 5 speed swap (2k ago) and have been very happy with the Pentosin i used to fill the trans! Redline- only heard good things... should be good either way

·
Registered
566 Posts
My exposure to RedLine MTL is only for my E30 M car, but it has been very positive. After ~5 years and numerous auto-xes I found that the oil looked like new, also my magnetic drain plug had minimal amount of metallic build-up.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I recently went with straight Redline ATF(in my 5-speed) :eeps: Feels good so far!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Pentosin!
Not very happy with Redline
You can never go [wrong] with factory oil, but what was bad about your redline experience? One of the more common ones I see is that people expect a lot better shifting with RedLine and it does improve but for a very short time. I have learn to not use the force it takes to shift as the only indication of the oil.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Extremely happy with Redline! Go figure. Redline MTL that is, not the D4 ATF. I've used OEM which is good but does need to be changed and it's ridiculously $$$! Used Redline D4 ATF which is good at first but really don't think it provides the best lubrication for a manual tranny. Currently using straight Redline MTL which is by far the best I've experienced! It even cured the imfamous limp stick disease at the 5 th gear gate! I would recommend you try this First. Even for cars in our northern area. Used it through last winter and yes you notice that some warm up is required on really cold mornings. But, this only serves to remind you that the engine requires the same warm up period! I would venture to guess that any GL4 synthetic manual tranny oil will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Please don't tell me to search, I have, extensively. I have it pretty much narrowed down to these two choices. It seems like the Pentosin MTF-2 is OEM, but quite a few recommend the mix of Redline products. Has anyone done additional research on this or have thoughts on one or the other? Thanks guys.
They all work fine - just pick one and fill-up! :)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Used Redline D4 ATF which is good at first but really don't think it provides the best lubrication for a manual tranny.
This is true, both from what i've heard from experts and my own personal experience. Auto fluid in a manual will shear quickly.

That said, if OP is choosing between OEM and a 50/50 MTL/D4 mix, i would go with the OEM. I read about a VOA someone did on bitog i think and the MTF-LT2 turned out to be very good stuff. If cost is an issue though, MTL is a worthy substitute though. Some people may tell you MTL is better, some may tell you it's worse, but i think they are both good.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
http://www.bgprod.com/products/driveline.html

I've got the BG Ultra-Guard in mine. First 22000 Kms on it have been fine. I noticed smoother shifting initially, now I'm just used to it. The warranty gives me some peace of mind and since I can do it at the shop I just pay for the product at a discounted price :thumbup: .

There are many options out there, a lot of them are fine and a lot of them are not. Do some research pick a good one and don't worry about it thereafter.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
You talking about the Red Line mix recommended by UUC to minimize gear rattle? Yeah, I've run it and it made my 6-spd feel super notchy. The shifter felt so crappy that I changed it out again within a month just to get it out of the transmission. I'm not knocking the Red Line products, this particular mix just wasn't a good match for my transmission. Straight up D4-ATF probably would have been a better choice. I've been running Royal Purple Synchromax for years now and have been relatively happy with it although it does tend to get notchy again after ~15k miles. I've currently got the Pentosin MTF-2 on order for my next fluid change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts