E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the FAQ section and it recommends BMW Oil Filter Part #
11-42-7-509-430 (which is a 15K Filter) but I cannot find this anywhere. :banghead:

My thought was to use the standard BMW Oil Filter Part # 11-42-7-512-300 and change my oil every 7500 miles. :hmm:

When I looked this up on Bravian Motorsports they recommend the Mann replacement filters with the part # 11-42-7-512-300 which is the same number as the BMW part # I get from the BMW dealer sites. :ben:

Are the cheaper Mann replacement filters on ebay a bad idea? :(

I am so confused, please help me here! :facepalm:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mann, from any decent european auto parts shop.

Also, just FYI the part number does not refer to a particular manufacturer, only to the car part.
Different manufacturer will make the same part, therefore will use the same part number. That does not mean they are all of the same quality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Walmarts computer said they dont carry it, but if you know the part number, I'm pretty sure you can find one by FRAM that they would have. Pep Boys had both a FRAM and a Purolator filter for my 325. The Purolator was $10, the Fram was $14 and the filter from the BMW Stealership was $18. I hope this helps. Sorry I can't remember the part numbers.

Edit:

Just get it from the dealership. What they sell is the one to use.
You must have an excellent job. Can you hook me up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would stay away from FRAM filters and anything that is not a Mann filter or genuine BMW (sold at the dealer), Do not take any chances with your engine use the best oil and filters, It's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mahle or Mann filters are best (if not better) than OEM quality filters. Those are the only 2 brands I am willing to put in my E46.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Oil is the life blood of your engine ... stick with Mahle, Mann, or factory. As mentioned, local foreign car parts stores should have Mahle or Mann, or there are many places you can order from. One is autohausaz.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have been using the Mann filter. You can get them from Amazon for under $7.00. Then I order up the oil and get it all shipped for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts