E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am in the process of doing a major engine refresh on my 325ci that has almost 190k miles. I have disassembled the oil filter housing which was caked in a black oily carbon residue from some leak (probably the oil pan since that has keep dripping since lifting the car up). Nonetheless, after cleaning, I discovered some nicks on the mating surface of the housing. I read in another recent thread that an experienced member here suggested resurfacing the mating surface with emery cloth as warping will be inevitable. Is this necessary for my housing?

I have attached a couple pictures showing the nicks on the mating surface. Additionally, are the score marks where the gasket sits anything to worry about? I want to make sure this crucial component does not leak when I put it back together. Thank you

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I would ONLY 'nib' those off (you can use a razor blade) as the seal doen't seal there.

All you want to do is make sure they don't hold the housing proud of the block surface,
nothing more.

t
most things we do in garages make flat surfaces less flat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow quick responses! That's great news to hear. The rest of the sealing surface is quite smooth without any pitting or scrapes so I think that's good to go! Thanks for letting me know of the check valve. I shall be replacing it.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
For truing up the flatness of a hand plane used in woodworking, we lay down a piece of plate glass and spray mount a piece of sand paper to it. It can take a while, depending on the grade of sandpaper, but planes and blades need to be polished perfectly flat.
I do like the idea of a sharpening stone, why my method can't be used due to location of the surface.
Just make sure you clean thoroughly when done.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,552 Posts
I like the idea of a whetstone (wet stone?) to polish the edge. Just burnish off the defects that can make contact with the mating surface.

·
Premium Member
2005, E46 Convertible, 330CI M Sport, Mystic Blue, 76k Miles
368 Posts
I saw similar when I removed the ATF pan. I polished it smooth with scotch brute, wire wool and Emery paper. No leaking at all.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,764 Posts
Those are from a sideways pry with a tool in an effort to remove seal material from the valleys.
Be it you or the last person to do the job.

Those areas are raised. I would sand it on a surface plate if it were my car. Those spots are higher.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
This thread and in particular post # 142:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hello all, I am in the process of doing a major engine refresh on my 325ci that has almost 190k miles. I have disassembled the oil filter housing which was caked in a black oily carbon residue from some leak (probably the oil pan since that has keep dripping since lifting the car up). Nonetheless, after cleaning, I discovered some nicks on the mating surface of the housing. I read in another recent thread that an experienced member here suggested resurfacing the mating surface with emery cloth as warping will be inevitable. Is this necessary for my housing?

I have attached a couple pictures showing the nicks on the mating surface. Additionally, are the score marks where the gasket sits anything to worry about? I want to make sure this crucial component does not leak when I put it back together. Thank you

View attachment 929774

View attachment 929775
Not a problem. Just make sure you clean that gasket groove out thoroughly. I can see some residue in there. And tighten up the top 4 bolts first in a criss cross fashion. Then do the bottom two.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the advice! It seems the best way to go about it is lightly flatten the bump. I'll try and use a small strip of emery cloth to rub it down as flush as possible.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
You want to use a WHOLE sheet.
The idea is to lightly sand the ENTIRE mating surface at one time. This way it sits FLAT when bolted down.
Working only one area would lead to a untrue surface and future leaks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the insight. I did some research into the check valve and it looks like there's no real simple way to replace that part. There's a a metal replacement check valve from Russia, but the process of replacing it seems more of a hassle than it's worth. I ended up ordering a new oil filter housing since it was on sale. My goal is to drive the wheels off this high mileage 325 so I felt it was worth it to simply get a new housing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts