E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:censor: The F'ing drain plug on my 2002 M3 is stripped. I found it this way. Now I need to buy a new one, and my time was wasted lifting the car up. Local BMW doesn't "stock" them, and they need payment first before they can even order one. I've seen multiple threads with this same problem after a simple search, WHY!? WHY BMW!?

They quoted me $11 for this POS bolt.

Dear BMW Engineers who are responsible for choosing a round bolt with a 6mm hex socket: Are you ****ING SERIOUS? A ROUND bolt top? With a 6mm hex socket? SERIOUSLY?

Dramatic Re-enactment of the engineering of the bolt: "Gee whiz Hans, this bolt will probably strip after only using it once." "You're right Jungen, that's why we made it out of playdoh, so that it's less expensive for BMW to make new ones, and we can sell it for quite a profit!" "Oh Hans, lets have ga* *ex!". "Oh Jungen!" **both begin making out** :facepalm:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dramatic Re-enactment of the engineering of the bolt: "Gee whiz Hans, this bolt will probably strip after only using it once." "You're right Jungen, that's why we made it out of playdoh, so that it's less expensive for BMW to make new ones, and we can sell it for quite a profit!" "Oh Hans, lets have ga* *ex!". "Oh Jungen!" **both begin making out** :facepalm:
Pwhahaha...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol yeah I know! Nah I'm just disgusted at the ridiculous design of the plug. Major stuff has happened and I deal with it just fine. F'ing plug...lmao

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got at least one spare in my garage... Let me know if you're in a pinch. I always buy a new one to make a magnetic drain plug :)

If someone is going to overtorque it, I'd rather see a stripped plug than a stripped pan.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would guess that someone had an SAE hex key set, and since you can find an SAE key that "just almost sorta kinda" fits, now it's been rounded off. But it's better than stripped threads on your oil pan for sure. How severely rounded off is it? I hope you can get it off okay when you get the new one. Btw, this isn't nearly as stupid as VW using hex key lug nuts, try dealing with that sometime.

·
Registered
0 Posts
this can be very frustrating, happened to me in my 330xi and to my suprise, the bolt is hollow after the head.
In my case the head snapped off so i used needle nose clamp pliers to slowly screw it out, and drove 40 miles to get a replacement and an extra!!

Like everyone said, at least its an $11 bolt and not a $1,100 bil of replacing an oil pan. :excited:

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are easy-outs designed exactly for this problem, but if some asshat uses the wrong hex size or doesn't get it in there all the way before turning...you're going to need one. Interesting factoid- If you use a 7/32 on a 6mm hex you'll strip it out. Especially tricky if the bolt has a round head that seals against a round washer in a small place.

:drama:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
User error, wtf are u crying about.
Wow you're an a**. It's mainly a joke. It was like that from someone else. Smile a little bit, and remember to take your anti depressants.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats why you need to upgrade like I did.....

Is this the one from turner motorsports or ecs tuning or whatever site the "magnetic drain plug" is on?

·
Registered
342 Posts
The bolt is a soft material so it doesn't strip your pan smart guy. Its made to sit flush. Looks like the right design to me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I got my '05 the allen was damaged, I just barely managed to get it out. My local parts store (Oreillys) had a hex head replacement like the one shown above in stock for a buck or two.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bolt is a soft material so it doesn't strip your pan smart guy. Its made to sit flush. Looks like the right design to me.
True I'll agree that the material choice, flushness, and intelligence of myself you stated above are all true.

But if you're stripping the hex hole, you're probably tightening it to much regardless of what material you use. I made the mistake of going to valvoline quick oil change. Now I change my own because I have access to a lift (win!)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts