E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced my ccv lines which was a bitch and I'm putting my car back together. I can't find the hole to put the dipstick tube in. Please help

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So I just replaced my ccv lines which was a bitch and I'm putting my car back together. I can't find the hole to put the dipstick tube in. Please help
You can't figure out how to get the dipstick back into the engine, or you don't know where to connect the CCV hose to the dipstick?

Did you buy a new dipstick o-ring, and did you clean out the dipstick tube?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I could link to pictures and try to describe it, but your best option is just to go under the car, <strike>passenger side</strike> driver's side, and look for the hole. Once you see it, and feel it, you'll know enough of where it is that you're able to guide the tube in from the top.

You definitely need a new o-ring when doing this job.

Make sure you've really cleaned the dipstick tube. First I used a wire hanger, and barely got anywhere. Then I plugged either end and soaked it with solvent overnight, twice. Then I used a piece of weed trimmer line attached to my drill to remove the gunk.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I could link to pictures and try to describe it, but your best option is just to go under the car, passenger side, and look for the hole. Once you see it, and feel it, you'll know enough of where it is that you're able to guide the tube in from the top.

You definitely need a new o-ring when doing this job.

Make sure you've really cleaned the dipstick tube. First I used a wire hanger, and barely got anywhere. Then I plugged either end and soaked it with solvent overnight, twice. Then I used a piece of weed trimmer line attached to my drill to remove the gunk.
^^^ listen to lingon on the new o-ring part.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Driver side of the oil pan. The OP is in Baltimore not Britain :D
Dumbest thing I've ever written, by far. No idea why I said that. Thanks for correcting me. (I've edited the original post)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just did my ccv system and the two biggest issues by far are the hose that comes down from the intake to the oil separator and replacing the dipstick tube.

What worked for me: I made sure both the dipstick tube and the port it plugs into were clean. I used a small amount of vaseline on the new o-ring and placed on the dipstick tube. I also put a small amount on the actual dipstick but this may not be needed. Then, since it's a balmy 30 degrees here in Kansas, I warmed the entire dipstick tube (with o-ring) with my bullet heater. Not hot, but got everything good and warm. I have seen people say to use warm water to heat the o-ring. That's great but I guarantee you that by the time you are trying to install it that it's gone cold. A piece of rubber isn't going to hold the heat for very long. With my heater, I got everything warm, it held the heat and the o-ring was warm when i put it in.

When everything is good and warm, guide the dipstick straight down until it makes contact with the port. Then, using a rag, gloves, etc., push down on the brace that is welded on the lower part of the dipstick while rotating the dipstick. You can put a pretty good amount of force on the dipstick if you push on this brace, cushioning your hand with a rag. It will pop right in, but it does take a good amount of downward (straight downward) force.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts