E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
I don't think there is a purpose for an oil cooler unless you plan on tracking your car....I don't think there is any gain for street applications.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,661 Posts
they are good for besides the track

if you are going to pull something like a trailer. cools the engine down from working so hard.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I can't think of a situation where there AREN'T benefits from a cooler engine (whether oil cooler, or cooler coolant temps, hell...even a tranny cooler or diff cooler).....maybe a longer warm up time?? And if you're running the engine hard on the streets daily, a second inline oil filter along with the oil cooler seems like it would be insurance against metal particle damage. I'ld like to run one with the project engine....just not sure yet if the E36 oil cooler will fit the E46 or not :dunno:

·
Big in Japan
1,120 Posts
I think for the routes we are going, its a must. Our engines rev higher, and are going to be a much higher specific output than when they rolled off the factory floor, whats a few hundred dollars for some good extra insurance.

In terms of which one, Im thinking of using the m3 oil cooler as a basis.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vacmotorsports sells a killer ass kit!! However, it's for an e36, and not an e46. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable. THere was an oil cooler kti for an e36 on the roundel classifieds for extremely cheap as well.

·
Nonsense Generator
946 Posts
I have always been interested in this also....cooler engine = better.

I think Active Autowerke has one too...

·
P.I.M.P.
2,369 Posts
If you get an oil cooler, could one take out the fan to further decrease the load on the engine? or would one still need a fan?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts