BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All!

Please, help me!

I'm having trouble with my oil level in my e46 325i. I have my car a half year ago now. I changed the engine oil a few months ago, after i bought this car. Afther i changed the engine oil i used my car in my city for about 1300-1500kms. I can not notice any oil consumption. The level was at max on the oil stick. Then, i went to a city wich is 120kms far from my city. I take 4 of my friends with full of luggages in my trunk. When we arrived home (so after about 250kms i noticed a little oil consumption. About 1mm from the max level on the oil stick. I doesnt overworked the car. No problem i had till last weekend.
I had to make a ride (80kms total). I used my car at 4000rpm and 120km/h on this 80kms distance. The next morning i checked my oil level and it is decreased between to the middle of the max and min level on the oil stick. (so about 0.5litre of oil is missing). I panicked a bit. Today i decided that i will mimic the last saturday. The same road, (almost) the same rpm(4000-4500) and velocity(120-130), the same distance(80kms). After the trip i put my car on the same place when i checked my oil level next time. About 1-2mm is missing on the oil stick from its middle-middle level was the last checked level-(on the oil stick the level is 1-2mm below the middle of the min-max level).
So i am confused. I do the same trip 2 times. First, it costs about 0.5l of engine oil, the next time it costs the fifth of it(~fifth of the 0.5l previous consumption).
I also tried the following: park the car, pull out the gang and hold the revolution at 5500-6000rpm for 10second, tried some fat throttle, some smaller throttle and looked for any smoke(either for white, black, or blue smoke). No smoke noticed. Also, during the 2 relevant trips(which after i noticed oil consumption) i didnt realized any type of smoke.
So there is oil consumption when i use the car on higher revolution for "longer" distances,but there isnt any smoke (neither at idle or when i accelerate) and no oil consumption can be noticed when i use the car in city (for about 1300-1500kms).

Can you give me some advices, tips where to looking for the problem?
Maybe i have to prepare for the change of the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Before an "army" of members will start teasing you, in a friendly manner, of course, based on your "yet another oil consumption thread"...try to research this forum more. The fact that some threads are older, and not on the first page of this section, doesn't mean they have to be ignored.
Hint: look for "CCV" threads.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a bmw 330ci 2004 183000 miles and in the few months i have had it,my car consumed a lot of oil ie 1litre =1000 miles.What i have discovered is this.
1/switch off engine and wait 5 mins check oil level it needs to be a quarter way up above minimum (=quarter litre) if you now leave it say overnight it will show half way between min and max = half litre the perfect spot.
2/do not top up to maximum it will just burn it off.
3/ between min and max is 1 litre
my oil consumption is minimal now and i do drive it harshly when safe,hope this helps someone out there.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I have a bmw 330ci 2004 183000 miles and in the few months i have had it,my car consumed a lot of oil ie 1litre =1000 miles.What i have discovered is this.
1/switch off engine and wait 5 mins check oil level it needs to be a quarter way up above minimum (=quarter litre) if you now leave it say overnight it will show half way between min and max = half litre the perfect spot.
2/do not top up to maximum it will just burn it off.
3/ between min and max is 1 litre
my oil consumption is minimal now and i do drive it harshly when safe,hope this helps someone out there.
Good for you if this fixes your oil consumption, which sound to me more like an oil leak than anything else. However it is very uncommon that the engine will lose oil only when the level is near the top. In most cases the oil level would continue to drop even after it reaches the lower mark of the dipstick and the yellow oil light starts coming ON after the engine is turned off.

·
Registered
581 Posts
+1...as, it's not something like the "mighty dragon" is "thirsty" just for that extra "virgin" oil and, suddenly, it will stop "craving" for more... :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Are you sure it isn't an oil leak? Check the OFHG.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My car isnt leaking oil from anywhere or smoking even on heavy acceleration,and i have seen a similar thing before on several other cars my porsche 928 burnt off oil until it was back to midway on the dipstick,i am not saying this is a cure for all just try it and dont run out of oil .I am hardly using oil now.ie 1000miles 250ml used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dear All!

Thanks for all of your responses!
I was washed my chassis and my friend watched that and said that there is a little leaking at the seals. But that is very low. (He used the word "weep" to introduce that is very little).
After some use the yellow oil lamp gone to ON (and i had to travel a longer distance on freeway ) so i spilled oil in my car ( i didnt wanted to risk). I used the car about 1000miles from then and my level is about the mid level.
Thanks for your answers again, i will check the behavior of my car and the previous post about CCV!
THanks all!:bow:

(p.s.: if i have to replace the engine, i will and i will not give up because i fu*ck1n love my e46! ;) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts