BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about... a month or 1,000 miles ago on my E46 with 130,000 miles on it I had the oil pan and oil filter housing gasket replaced by the dealer since they were leaking. Since then I have burnt through about a quart of oil... I know that oil consumption is relative to how you drive the car and I did take it autocrossing about a week after I got it back. The car is in at the dealer right now so they can check if they've messed up the job I paid them for but my question is, since I have driven the car relatively hard since it has been fixed, should it have burnt through that much oil?

I don't have any other leaks as far as I'm aware. I looked and didn't see any visible leaks... I've replaced the CCV a few months ago as well so that is ruled out.... It has a fairly new VCG as well.... I'm just not sure what else it could be other than me driving it hard or the dealer messing up? Does anyone have any input here?

·
Registered
28,448 Posts
Super common for 3.0/3.2 BMW M54B30 and S52B32 engines, regardless of maintenance history. More common on 01/02 330s than later years. Nowhere else will you see this information that I typed out. As to why, not exactly sure. I've put out my theories in other posts before.

Just enjoy the car and add oil as needed. Also use the correct oil to minimize consumption. Running the car hard also increases consumption so keep that in mind.

GL and welcome!

·
Registered
9,493 Posts
should it have burnt through that much oil?

I don't have any other leaks as far as I'm aware. I looked and didn't see any visible leaks... I've replaced the CCV a few months ago as well so that is ruled out.... It has a fairly new VCG as well.... I'm just not sure what else it could be other than me driving it hard or the dealer messing up? Does anyone have any input here?
Not necessary to burn oil at that rate. My properly broken in car goes 10K miles burning no oil at 97K miles.
But autocrossing alone could be responsible for that increased consumption. Makes a big difference, especially at your mileage.
Have you checked the OFHG area closely?
Did you make sure they really cleaned out the dipstick tube thoroughly when they did the CVV?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Some use this additive BG MOA and claim to reduce oil consumption.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm alright I'll keep that in mind. I'll keep a watch on the oil. The car is a blast but I now have an $800 bill for fixing some power steering lines... I would fix it myself but my dad insisted to have the dealer do it.... I hate letting those guys do it :/ I've done most of the work on it myself but my dad seems convinced that we NEED special tools for the power steering return lines. Oh well. I guess I'll survive.

·
Registered
9,493 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahah! Nah he's great with cars too. Idk why he just told the dealer to deal with it.... Mostly because his buddy is a manager there... Usually we do our own work ourselves. And believe me, he's paying this time ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts