E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I hear that cars should have their oil changed every 3000 miles or 3 months? Then why do I hear that BMWs only need to have their oil changed every 15000 miles?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You hear 15k miles for BMW because BMW pays for your oil change for the first few years, so ofcourse they want to maximize the time between oil changes to minimize their costs.

the reality is that 3000 miles is an old tradition. it used to be extremely necessary to change your oil after 3000 miles in the early days of the automobile, but nowadays its not _as_ necessary. People have been saying 3000 miles since the first cars were on the road. As you can imagine, engine & oil technology has greatly improved since then and most cars today could easily go 5000 miles just fine.

3000 miles is a tradition of sorts and I don't expect that number to ever disappear.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
phita23 said:
Why do I hear that cars should have their oil changed every 3000 miles or 3 months? Then why do I hear that BMWs only need to have their oil changed every 15000 miles?
The 3,000 mile rule, is mostly marketing by jiffy lube and all these oil change places. This is for standard oil, not synthetic.

Our cars use sythetic oil. The 15,000 mile interval that BMW recommends is tretching it too far. I wouldn't wait more than 7,500 miles. I change my oil every 5k miles (2 myself and the third one done by BMW). My BMW service guy even told me he would do it every 5k miles in his BMW.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Considering how the 3 series burns like 1qt of oil/thousand miles, I can't image even getting to 15k miles with any oil left ? just my 0.02

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Ronzo said:
Considering how the 3 series burns like 1qt of oil/thousand miles, I can't image even getting to 15k miles with any oil left ? just my 0.02
You are joking, right? If your car burns that much oil, you should have it checked. That is not normal.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ronzo said:
Wow, you need to have that checked, are you sure the drain nut is tight enough? I change my oil every 7500 miles and I notice a very small amount of change in the oil level.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i plan on getting my oil change this saturday, i have the same oil since i bought the car 8 months ago. Now i have 14, 800 miles, the car runs great, but i plan on changing the oil every 7, 500 with amsoil oil!!!

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
samE46 said:
which one would you guy recommend every 5000 or 7500? thank
I would do no more than 7500. Some people might say that 5000 is overkill, but I plan to keep my car and I liketo baby it, so every 5k for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ca1242 said:
You are joking, right? If your car burns that much oil, you should have it checked. That is not normal.
Honestly, my car doesn't burn that much oil, but I did have to add oil between every oild change, which I did at 7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've had my car for 3 years, changed the oil every 15000 miles with no problems, and the engine is running stronger than ever. No joke. My Honda however, I will chage the oil every 4k miles since it is non-synthetic oil.

·
Banned
2,028 Posts
I go by the 7500 interval. If you're really paranoid but still wanna save money, then just change the oil filter every 3000 miles or so. The oil filter on a BMW is up top, not the bottom like most cars so it's easy to do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts