BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid a pretty good price for it $4.95 per bottle. BMW is now changing to 5W40 oil. 0W40 is stock in AMG Mercedes and Austin Martin and Porsche. It normally runs for $6+ per bottle.

Total for 14 bottles plus a bottle of red line gas treadment and shipping: $77.05. Took about 10 days to get here though :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMW now recommends 5W40

Goto the owners circle for more info. As you saw from Amir and I believe Samir posted pics of a engine block, I think BMW screwed us on recommending 5W30 especially for summer temps. Well with global warming and all to!

From Mobil 1's website:

02/24/2002 Which Viscosity For A Jetta In A Hot Climate?
Are you guys ever going to make 5W-40 anytime soon? I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, and the manual tells me to use that weight. I thought that a 10W-40 would be better for my Arizona climate, but if you can help me I'd appreciate it.
-- Sean, Scottsdale
While ExxonMobil recommends following your owner's manual, if you wish to use Mobil 1 in that general viscosity range, we do make Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 will provide excellent protection for your engine in the high temperatures of your region. In the near future, this product will have wider distribution, but at this time the best place to get the product is from your local Mercedes-Benz or Porsche dealer.

Are you guys ever going to make 5W-40 anytime soon? I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, and the manual tells me to use that weight. I thought that a 10W-40 would be better for my Arizona climate, but if you can help me I'd appreciate it.
-- Sean, Scottsdale
While ExxonMobil recommends following your owner's manual, if you wish to use Mobil 1 in that general viscosity range, we do make Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 will provide excellent protection for your engine in the high temperatures of your region. In the near future, this product will have wider distribution, but at this time the best place to get the product is from your local Mercedes-Benz or Porsche dealer.

Mobile 1 0W40 can be used all year around. 0W40 is better than 5W30 and 0W30 during cold startup. I saw a writeup from a Mobil1 scientist who indicated that there are additional binding agents in 0W40. The wear rating is alot better for 0W40. I think you should now concur with BMW's new recomendation and the take it a step further and go 0W40 instead of the new recomended 5W40. Just my take. Hell even Mobil1 0W40 was third place in a oil chalenge against Amsoil race oil! Which race oil is not recomended for our cars.

Delirium said:
I use the 5W-30. mobil 1

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Re: BMW now recommends 5W40

KevinJ_2k1_325ci said:
Goto the owners circle for more info. As you saw from Amir and I believe Samir posted pics of a engine block, I think BMW screwed us on recommending 5W30 especially for summer temps. Well with global warming and all to!

From Mobil 1's website:

-- Sean, Scottsdale

-- Sean, Scottsdale

Mobile 1 0W40 can be used all year around. 0W40 is better than 5W30 and 0W30 during cold startup. I saw a writeup from a Mobil1 scientist who indicated that there are additional binding agents in 0W40. The wear rating is alot better for 0W40. I think you should now concur with BMW's new recomendation and the take it a step further and go 0W40 instead of the new recomended 5W40. Just my take. Hell even Mobil1 0W40 was third place in a oil chalenge against Amsoil race oil! Which race oil is not recomended for our cars.

uh-oh... i guess I should switch to 0W-40? have I done harm to my engine?

·
'a certain moderator'
35,572 Posts
john, i am gonna drive my azz all the way down to MD just to use that extractor!!! would make things so much easier for the changes between scheduled maintenance :thumbup:

-brendan

·
www.my330i.com
1,907 Posts
I've been using AMSOIL High Performance Synthetic 0W-40 for a long time without problems...

·
Groccery Getter
904 Posts
I've been using 0W-40 since I got my car back in Feb 01. In the German dealership I bought my car from they offered me 0W-40 or 5W-40. When I got back in the US I took it in the dealership to get oil change done, I brought the 0W-40 and they looked at me like I was crazy and they told me that BMW reccomends 5W-30. I told them I know what BMW NA recommends but BMW AG has been usint this (0W-40) on my car. I told them to put it in but they were hesitant. I had to convince them dumb SOB's that it was ok to use.

·
Registered
700 Posts
simsima325 said:
john, i am gonna drive my azz all the way down to MD just to use that extractor!!! would make things so much easier for the changes between scheduled maintenance :thumbup:

-brendan
Let me know when... I store it at my in laws house, but I'll get it up to my place, no problem:thumbup:

John V

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn 5W30 is sludge.

It's only been just less than 3k miles and the oil is like sludge. I guess I should have let the car warm up more. I was working from home so it was sitting all day and went out to get lunch and back and start the extraction. I drove it for about 10 minutes. The oil was difficult to get out this time. Then my top sider stopped more than a couple of times and I had to re-start. Then my wife calls and she is coming home early! arrrggghh. I had like 3 quarts to extract from my can jiggle test and since I let it sit to extract while I went back to work, the engine was cold. I went outside and had to restart the pump again thinking I was almost done but it stopped 10 minutes later. I then had like 15 minutes to pick her up. I'm rushing around pumping the extracter, thinking I'll quickly dump the oil in and go pick her up.....then arrrrggghhhh the filter. I grab my socket and a rag and take the oil cap off to get to the filter, Im rushing, oil drips a bit and there is a bunch in the cylinder. It goes down so I'm safe. I pull the filter off put the new one on, grease the new "O" ring, tighten it up. I look over and the extracter stopped again....aaarrrrrrrgggghhh. pump pump pump, the cold sludge slowly moves. I jiggle the can, it feels like about 6 quarts of oil as I recall the weight of the can from the previous extract. The damn original extracter is a metal unlike the plastic see through Pela which you can see how much oil is out and has a measure, well mine there is no way to measure. I have 5 minutes to pick her up now..and it's 15 minutes with traffic down the road. I'm like F' it I pump the extracter and let it continue while I dump the new oil in. I'm guessing I had a little oil left and got most of it. I think I'm going to dump my extracter and buy a pela. I checked the oil after and it looks clean as when It came out of the bottle so I'm sure I didn't have much left at the bottom of the pan. Whew :tsk:

The moral of the story, get good oil and a good extractor. Also change the filter at every oil change. Also get a good wife who won't yell at you for being late! Hmm I have to work on that last one a bit. :pimpin:

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
I have the pela & it stops sometimes.. but why is it that I get about 3/4 qts less oil out than I have to put in? I think its because the oil filter adsorbs quite a bit of it?

my 2.5L takes about 6.25 qts. but I only get about 6qts out. (or less.. maybe even 5?)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes you have to start your car after you put the oil in and...

Then stop the car for a min or two and check the level again to give a chance for the filter to absorb some oil. I noticed that the oil filter was heavy as hell with oil and was halfway filling the cylinder with oil when I took it off. After it was out, the oil dropped to the pan. There is also oil still in the crevaces of the engine. There is no way to get all the oil unless you go to a professional and they do a vaccum pump not just use a tube suction machine. That gets every last drop but you will spend like $150-200 or more for the pump and refil. If your spending that much you might as well have them do a detergent flush of your engine which is recomended every year. I don't have $200-300 to burn like that.

Delirium said:
I have the pela & it stops sometimes.. but why is it that I get about 3/4 qts less oil out than I have to put in? I think its because the oil filter adsorbs quite a bit of it?

my 2.5L takes about 6.25 qts. but I only get about 6qts out. (or less.. maybe even 5?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Redline makes the best synthetic oils for daily drivers, modified engines and full blown racers.

Go to this website to read about the different grades and uses. I am in the South and use 10W30 in a slightly modified engine and get a much smoother engine than OEM oil.

http://autochic.com/redline/index.html

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Neither do I which is why I put 0W40 in!

However they are the only ones (according some info I read) to have the most advanced oil analysis and testing facility in all of Europe.

BAVARIAN323i said:

same here

I dont listen to what BMW recommends, they also recommend to change the oil every 15000 miles:banghead:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts