BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my oil every 5k, but is it safe? I got the car used and this will be my first time changing it. It kind of feel sluggish and I have 2k miles before an oil change.

What type of oil do you guys use? Synthetic or Regular?

·
Loves cookies
1,879 Posts
I change mine every 7500 miles, personally if you're using synethic oil whats the point of changing it at 3k? I use synethic BMW oil fromt he dealer, also i notice that the car heats quicker with the fresh oil than waiting the 15k, could be my imagination though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you guys change after the recommended 5k, will there be a light indicator or reset button to reset the recommended 5k maintenance reminder everytime you put the key in? Or do you guys just ignore the reminder?

·
Registered
113 Posts
7500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you guys change after the recommended 5k, will there be a light indicator or reset button to reset the recommended 5k maintenance reminder everytime you put the key in? Or do you guys just ignore the reminder?
I changed it every 7.5k.

The recommended interval by bmw is 15k, not 5k. There is no need to reset anything if you change it at 5k or 7.5k.

·
Registered
738 Posts
BMW 5W30 @ 7,500 miles. If the Oil Change/ Inspection counter really bugs you there are two DIY guides on how to reset it yourself (depends on year of car).

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
Depends how hard I drove the car...

If I drive it hard.... 5000 miles

Normal....7500 miles.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I do about 10k and change once a year. Cause i don't drive hard that much.

·
Registered
581 Posts
bmw

Same here. 7500 miles or once a year. I don't drive my cars that much.
hi , remember we were speaking of that vanos unit for ever back in the day. well. im ready to take more opions on what to do. let me know what you think. I have a 323i vanos light on for 3 years, metel in the engine , but the 106 code never leaves. bad oil pump? what r your thoughs

·
Registered
224 Posts
I want to change my oil every 5k, but is it safe? I got the car used and this will be my first time changing it. It kind of feel sluggish and I have 2k miles before an oil change.

What type of oil do you guys use? Synthetic or Regular?

Do you know the cars history? If not, then change immediately. I'd never trust a prev owner on the oil change interval or brand, etc....Unless you can confirm the details for sure, you are due right now.

I use Mobil One 0W-30 or German Castol 0W-30 every 5k. Always use synthetic LL-01. Small expense to keep it running smooth.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We recommend 7500 miles and only use BMW approved oils that are LL-01 or LL-04. These include BMW 5w-30, ELF Solaris LSX 5w-30, Castrol made in Germany, Mobil 1 with the European formula.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts