BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm writing about a 2004 330ci, 6speed manual with 117K.

So we had about 7 inches of snow last night and very cold temperatures (about 8F). I got up this morning, cleaned off my car, which was bumper deep in snow, got some neighbors to push and was on my way.

About a block down the road i realized my parking brake was still on about half way, took it off, and the car stalled. I felt pretty foolish, i haven't stalled my car in years. I go to start her back up and it turns over a few times, makes some knocking sounds and then dies. Tried starting a few more times and saw that both a red battery and oil light were on.

I got out, checked the oil, which was slightly low, added some more and tried to start it again. It started up and I got another half block down the road and stalled. This time it would NOT start and there was tons of smoke coming out the exhaust pipe and a strong smell of burning oil. The smoke seemed to be white/gray.

Here are my thoughts of possible problems:
1. oil separator failed
2. lots of snow got into the exhaust??
3. some sort of major oil leak
4. did i f* something up by driving with the parking break on?

I've done some reading and have seen a few things about MAF failures, fuel pump issues, but nothing really seems to fit what's goin on here. HELP

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
THOSE LIGHTS ARE ON BECAUSE THE ENGINE IS OFF.

If the key is set to Position II (RUN), but the engine is not running, those lights are on as a normal condition. If those lights are on and the engine is running, turn it off.

Your description is that you blew the motor. You did not screw anything up by driving with the parking break (sic) on.

The knocking sounds are the problem here. Not the parking brake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize the parking brake is not the problem. I was postulating if weather or not having driven the car with it on could have cause a problem (the engine/transmission are trying to turn locked wheels). anyone else have something useful about the true underlying problem?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Your CCV froze pumping oil into the engine.
That's why the oil ran low, I don't think it had anything to do
with the parking brake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts